Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Displaying the text of a book correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

casperthedog

Instructor
Jan 29, 2002
NZ
I wish to store the text of some childrens books (eg picture books which have only a few words on a page) in a database. Each word must be a new record as it will have a response associated with it as the child reads. For example, the table will have the fields:
ISBN, pageNo, LineNo, WordNo, ActualText, Response

This is easy to create but I then want to create a report that displays the text more or less as it appears on the page of the book. So if page one is set out like this:

'One day Goldilocks
went for a walk'

I want the report to display the words in a similar fashion e.g. on two lines with the first three words on the first line.

Currently all I can do is produce a report, grouped by ISBN, Page and line but the words are listed vertically as they are in the DATA section of the form e.g.

One
day
Goldilocks

went
for
a
walk

Please help with your ideas.
Thanks.

How familiar are you with VBA Code???

What you will need to do is create an array for each line and pass that array as a variable into the report...this will give you the appearance of each distinct record being the same line...

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. (Albert Einstein)

Robert L. Johnson III
MCSA, CNA, MCP, Network+, A+
w: robert.l.johnson.iii@citigroup.com
h: wildmage@tampabay.rr.com

casper,
You might try creating three or four "columns" and make them as small as you can. (each column as narrow as the widest word.)
In "page setup" click the columns and type the number of columns. Click the "across then down" option.
Not sure that it will work with your report but worth a try.

Thanks Guys.

Both of these suggestions are probably worth trying but for now I seem to have come up with a different solution. I created a crosstab query, then on a report based on that query, placed text box controls that were linked to each column. The report was grouped by page, then line, and it seemed to work.

Here is the SQL: (the query is a parameter crosstab query requesting an ISBN number, hence the WHERE line)

PARAMETERS ISBN Text ( 255 );
TRANSFORM First(tblTEXT.text) AS FirstOftext
SELECT tblTEXT.line
FROM tblTEXT
WHERE (((tblTEXT.ISBN)=[ISBN] And (tblTEXT.ISBN)=[isbn]))
GROUP BY tblTEXT.ISBN, tblTEXT.line
PIVOT tblTEXT.word;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back