Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Displaying text

Status
Not open for further replies.

docky5

Programmer
Sep 27, 2007
US
HI,

I still have the problem with displaying a long string in a text field (box) ...I have at least 500 character long string which I would like to display..but when I put it into a text field it displays only around halfe of it..about 256 char...how can I make it show the full string in one text box instead of using more for this 1 string?

Thank you in advance.

Is this in a DataWindow or StaticText on a window? Are you sure the text field is long enough?

It is on a DW, and yes I tried many ways, like increasing the width of the taxt field, but as I know if I make it tighter the text will be cut into more rows...so I made it wider and heighter as well..but always cuts the text at the same charachter...

What version of PB?

And in the source script of the DW, what is the column being returned as?

What DB and driver are you using?

Matt

"Nature forges everything on the anvil of time

This is not a fix, but may give some insight into where the issue is occurring...

Wherever the text should appear (header, detail, footer) place a computed field as well that computes the length of the text. Len( your_field )

If it's showing 256+, then the error lies somewhere in the statictext field, otherwise, it's in the drivers connecting you to the database.

HI,

I use PB version 8.0.3

This field is in the Footer part...

And this is from the source code - but here I try to retrieve from an sql database..:
-------------------------------
column=(type=char(1000) updatewhereclause=no name=contact dbname="Contact" )

Thx the help in advance..

HI,

to make a text-field (either a static text or a text database column) make showing up a various length of text make the field autosizeheight. the autosize height property is found on the property tab general or position.

if placing the field in the header, summary or footer, make shure these bands have a height whis is height enough to show all text. the line break is taken from apperance of whitespaces, newlines and tab-chars in the text in that way that the thext is fitted in the width of the field from left to right or centered depending on the formatation of the field.

if the field is placed in the detail section make the detail band autosize height. then the detailband is automatically adjuyted to show all of the text.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back