Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Displaying Special Symbols not Alphabets ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sankarsr

Programmer
Oct 21, 2003
US
Hi All,

Good Morning.

I used the following command in UNIX. "grep 5674 *" . It has given some file names and matching lines. At the end it started displaying some special symbols. symbols means small lines, squares etc..

After that I typed "clear" command. I could not understand what I have typed, but after hitting enter key, it was excuted successfully. I have given command "ls". it displayed some symbol output. I copied that from EXCEED terminal and pasted it on a notpad. It is showing correct information means in alphabets.

I thought the screen display mode or something like that is changing after using grep on that folder.

could you please tell me any command which will help me to revert back to my original mode. Currently I am closing that terminal and opening a new terminal.

Thanks & Regards,
Sankar.

This will depend upon your interface to the unix server.
I use CRT which has a reset option on the drop-down menu under Edit.
You could try stty sane or clear
HTH

Dickie Bird (:)-)))

I think you've turned on line-graphics, ie. the alternate charater set, equivalent to "stty smacs". To turn off use "stty rmacs".

Ygor, you meant
Code:
 tput rmacs
?
sankarsr, avoid grep on binary files :).

Hope This Help
PH.

Whoops, thanks for the correction PHV!

sankarsr, if you have to grep on binary files then pipe the results through cat -v

Hai,

tput rmacs is working !!!

similarly if I use the following command then also screen mode is not changing.

grep 8458537 *|cat -v

Thank you very much
dickiebird
Ygor
PHV

the following commands are not working
stty sane
clear

Have Great 'n' Wonderful Day ...

Thanks & Regards,
Sankar.

Status