Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Displaying records based on list boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumbledook

Technical User
Dec 13, 2002
GB
I have training table which displays training lectures attended by students i.e. each subject has a check box associated with it.

Problem:

I want to be able to select a checkbox field from a lisbox set to list each checkbox field and display corresponding records selected in another list box:

so...if Jones and Smith attended the burglary lecture, I want to be able to select Jones and Smith from one list box and Burglary lecture from another list and display them on a data access page, where I can then update the check box to reflect their attendance.

table name is 'Training'
Field name is 'Surnames'
Checkbox names = 24 unique check boxes.

I can get both list boxes to list the names and the check box fields but try as I might I cannot get them to combine to display the correct records. All I ever get back is a blank data access page.

If you need any more explanation please let me know.

G.

to display the correct records
What are for you correct records ?
Can you please post more info on the tables structure, what you have so far, some data examples and expected result ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

PHV - the training table consists of the students personal details plus a check box for each of the nominated training lectures.

When I say Correct records I mean that when a number of names are selected in one list box and a field checkbox selected in the second list box where the checkbox is 'false', the resultant data access page displays only those records whose names have been selected.

I have tried using Forms![Datapages]![Listnames]under the names field in a query along with Forms![Datapages]![Lectures] to produce the desired result to no effect - the subsequent SQL being:

Select Training.Rank, Training.Collar, Training.Names
From Training
Where (((Training.Names = Forms![Datapages]![Listnames]) and
(Forms![Datapages]![Lectures] = "False"))

This still produces a datapage with no records displayed.

G.

Is the Listnames listbox MultiSelect ?
If yes, you have to take a look at the ItemsSelected collection.
I quite don't understand this part of your where clause:
and (Forms![Datapages]![Lectures] = "False")
Is the Lectures control holding the table field name ?
Is this SQL created dynamically ? (I hope so)

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Is the Listnames listbox MultiSelect ?
Yes.

Is the Lectures control holding the table field name ?
Yes - you select one field from a field list in the Lectures list box

Is this SQL created dynamically ? (I hope so)
Yes, it is created through design query. That is what it looks like in sql view. However, for some reason, if I try to copy&paste it to vba I get case expected errors.

If yes, you have to take a look at the ItemsSelected collection -I will have a look in the help section.

To tell you the truth, I am completely stumped on this one and it is probably something so simple I just cannot see it.

Thnaks for your interest by the way :)

G.

I presume the SQL is created in the Click event procedure of a CommandButton:
strSQL = "SELECT Rank,Collar,Names FROM Training WHERE Names IN ("
strNames = ""
With Listnames
For i = 0 To .ItemsSelected.Count - 1
strNames = ",'" & .ItemData(.ItemsSelected(i)) & "'"
Next i
End With
strSQL = strSQL & Mid(strNames, 2) & ") AND NOT [" & Lectures & "];"
I assumed the fields in Lectures are Boolean.

Hope This Helps, PH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back