Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Displaying portals on Netscape 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyfl

MIS
Jul 29, 2002
IN
Cannot 'see' my portals on Netscape 4.....Help !!!!
.....perfect on Microsoft IE....need solution double quick , any ideas??????

What Netscape and Portal (Patch set) version are you using. As far as I can remember Oracle Portal is certified against 4.7 and IE 4.01 SP1 . I found out that after applying patchset 3.0.9.8.3 (currently 3.0.9.8.5 is out) I could call the portal even from a LYNX browser.

Running 3.0.9.8.3

The HTML portals i was trying to display were being
presented on a 'page' using <IFRAMES>.
IFrames are are supported by Internet Explorer 5 or 6
but not by Netscape 4.

Netscape 6 does support IFrames, but we are not currently
prepared to roll out NS6 for general users across our
network just in order to get Iframes to present portals.

Any comments appreciated...
Andy

Are there really good reasons to use the iframes tag? Just a question 'cause I often see a heading into iframes w/o thinking about the sense. This is a more religious question and my opinion is to avoid iframes except there's no other way.
Also I'd never use the HTML portlet to display content since the HTML container cannot be reused and is pretty bad to manage (hard to find the potrlet location when having multiple portal pages, cannot apply an access control list, etc). I'd recommend to create dynamic pages or to use URL Service provider. Detlef Mueller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back