Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Displaying of Author Details within Office 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

billgurugates

Technical User
Oct 29, 2002
AU
I would like to be able to see the details of authors of various documents within any office application without opening them from explorer. I am sure that there is an option to do this but I have been unable to find this.

If you right click on the file and go to Properties, the summary tab should give you the information you are looking for.

Cheers for this but is there any way that I can see all of the author details for all of the folders and documents in the preview tab in explorer.

Greetings. If you change your view to details, and right click on the details bar, you should be able to select other attributes that you would like to have show. The author attribute is available here, as are many others.

To make the author show on all folders, after setting one folder up this way, you can go into tools/options/view and select the "like current folder" option. This will display the details view and the attributes you selected.

Doroth,

Thanks for your contribution.

Definitely worthy of another STAR. :)

Regards, ...Dale Watson dwatson@bsi.gov.mb.ca

Hi, billgurugates!

With Doroth's excellent suggestion you definitely don't need this one, but, this is for future reference if someone else is looking it. Here is a macro that will create a new document with all the filenames in particular folder (as you can see below, the folder has to be specified) and their authors.

Sub Props()
With Application.FileSearch
.NewSearch

.LookIn = &quot;c:\documents and settings\<userid>\my documents&quot; 'specify the folder to search
.SearchSubFolders = True
.Filename = &quot;*.doc&quot;
.MatchAllWordForms = True
.FileType = msoFileTypeWordDocuments

If .Execute() > 0 Then
MsgBox &quot;There were &quot; & .Foundfiles.Count & &quot; file(s) found.&quot;
Documents.Add
For i = 1 To .Foundfiles.Count
Selection.TypeText Text:=Dir(.Foundfiles(i), vbDirectory) _
& &quot; &quot;
Selection.TypeText Text:=ActiveDocument.BuiltInDocumentProperties(wdPropertyAuthor) & Chr(13)
Next i
Else
MsgBox &quot;There were no files found.&quot;
End If
End With
End Sub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back