Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Displaying Multiple Parameter Selections as Text

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbarbato

Programmer
Apr 6, 2005
US
Hi There! I am using Crystal XI.

I have a parameter called "?Discipline Group". The user is allowed to select multiple values for this parameter. If the user selects ?Discipline_Group = "Engineering" and "Construction", I would like the first page of the report to have the following...

"Discipline Group: Engineering, Construction"

If the user selects just "Engineering", It should have

"Discipline Group: Engineering"

The parameter works just fine, I am having trouble outputting this text. How do I go about doing this?

Thanks!

You can display the parameter value as a field on your report. If this isn't suitable, do a formula field that tests the parameter and show that.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK) [yinyang]

I am aware that I can put the parameter as a field on the report... It only shows the first selected value.

I can create a formula that tests if the parameter was left blank, but how do i create a formula to read all of the values in the parameter?

Hi,
Parameters that allow for multiple values store those values in an array, so to display it you must use a formula to convert the values into a character-separated string..

@ShowParam
Join({?Discipline Group},',')

If Values are :
"Engineering" and "Construction"

The formula would output:
Engineering,Construction

Place the Formula in the Page or Report header to display what was chosen..

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Also remember to set title to ‘can grow’ so that all parameters selected are displayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back