Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

displaying mandatory fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

STPMB

Programmer
Sep 13, 2002
US
Hi,

What is the best options to display mandatory field prompts after the user tries to move to the next window?

ie. message box listing the fields
highlighting fields
displaying an * beside the fields

appreciate any help

It is really up to you and what would best server your users and your end result. An asterics (*) next to a field is always good.

You can use the validate event to validate the field before the user exits it (look it up in the MSDN help) but this would occur each time the user tries to leave the field and I believe is an annoyance.

Personally, I prefer to validate just before I do a save, but again, it depends on what you are going for.

I agree with kbuc6. I display some visual indicator on the form showing that the field is mandatory (ie asterik, bold label, symbol, etc...) I also validate all information when the user attempts to save the information. If any fields are blank, or the information is invalid, I take the user back to the field in question to correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back