Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Displaying applets within a program

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyboyau

Programmer
Feb 7, 2005
AU
Hi Guys,
just curious - lets say I have two seperate files , one executed from the command line and the other is a java applet.

I want the first one to continue to be executed from the command line and once it has done some processing it should open the applet in the AppletViewer.

How would I go about doing this?

Thanks,

Tom

Why can you not just write a standalone Swing GUI, rather than an applet ?

--------------------------------------------------
Free Java/J2EE Database Connection Pooling Software

Yes but why would you want to ?!

--------------------------------------------------
Free Java/J2EE Database Connection Pooling Software

Well, if you've developed and tested and applet and you don't want to adapt it to be standalone (which is really simple, I know) you can use it this way.

Or if the applet will be distributed to another environment and you want to test it before.

I'm the one who spend all day trying to do strange and useless things, so nothing really surprises me :)

Cheers,
Dian

Thanks for the responses.
What I actually want to know is if there is any way to open an applet from within another java program?

Yeah, call the init method. An applet is just another Java program that extends a particular class to be executed in a web browser.

Appart from that you can call the methods on your applet class (init and start in this case).

Cheers,
Dian

Thanks Guys.
I managed to figure this one out.

- Tommy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back