Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Display text on Polycom IP550/650/670 as an incoming call arrives

Status
Not open for further replies.

nauliv

Technical User
Feb 7, 2006
US
Hello,

I've been trying to find out the best method to add information about a call at the same time the Polycom phone rings; additional to the CallerID name/number.

The SendText command seem to be the right one, but the documentation states that it requires an open channel, so I'd be more to show text to the calling party instead of the destination phoneset.

What would be the way to go in this situation ?

Thanks!!

Not sure exactly what you are looking for, but you might look at Astassistant. This application would run on the user's pc and can link to a database. When the call comes in, if the number is in the database, it pops up with the caller information.

Thanks for your post, busster.

Actually, the people answering the phones don't have windows computers in front of them, just dumb terminals. I can't have a piece of software running on them. That's why I need to display the information on the phone as the call arrives.

I've seen it working with other types of phones, but can't get that to work on the Polycoms...

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

If using Trixbox, you can link to a database on the machine. You have to populate the database with the information, but it will display about 20 characters or so.

Do you know how Trixbox sends that to the phone as the call comes in ? Is it overwriting the callerID name, or actually sending as an extra line ?

The telephone number normally seen is below the name you assigned. This also appears in the cdr reports as well.

Are you talking about overriding callerID name here ?
I'm talking about sending a line of text to the phone, in ADDITION to the callerid name/number. Thanks.

If the original callerid was

"2145551212"

And you added this to the database as

"Dallas Information"

When someone called back with 2145551212 you get:

"Dallas Information"
"2145551212"

The original callerid on the second line, your database entry on the first line.

Thanks for your response Busster.

I'm actually trying to display an ADDITIONAL line of text.

For example, if I have a PBX configured for multi company (DID1=Company X, DID2=Company Y, DID3=Company Z), and an interactive voice response for each company that offers to press an option for sales, customer service, and accounting, and 5 Polycom phones that all ring at the same time when a call comes in a a choice is made.

What I want the phones to display is:
555-666-7777
Bob Smith
Company X - Customer Service

This way the Polycom users can see who the call is from, and what they are calling for.

Thanks!

Okay. Got it. We do the same thing here, well slightly different. We have customer service and sales, but some of us are in both queues. When the call comes in,
1. The queue is labeled so you can look and see what type of call you are taking and how long they have waited.
2. The system additionally announces the type of call to the agent, "Sales Call" or "Service Call", so between the two types of prompting, agents should answer correctly.

So in your example, the agent would see
Company X:MX (and here company x when they answer the call)
Bob Smith
555-666-7777

Thanks so much for your response. We're not using the QUEUE aspect of Asterisk, but rather just a dial(sip/123&sip/124&sip/125), is there a way to have the same behavior on the phone though ? (maybe with a Sip add-header ?)

If you use the queue, it can still ring all the phones at the same time, so it acts the same. I know of no other way to get the same information to the agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back