Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Display Same Desktop on Two Monitors 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

acetylyne

IS-IT--Management
Jul 7, 2003
US
Hi,

I'm having a slight problem with my XP machine, and from what I've been reading, I'm not even sure if it's possible to do what i want to do without additional hardware, but here goes:

I have two video cards in my computer, and two monitors attached to it, one monitor is in a sepearate room than the other, what I want to be able to do is display the same desktop on both monitors, is there any way that I can do this? software wise? hardware wise?

thanks for your help
Josh

Josh,

I am experiencing the same problem. Were you able to get it to work? Anything you found would be extremely useful.

Thanks,
Peter

petert@stsapparel.com

What graphix cards are you using?

Greg Palmer

----------------------------------------
Any feed back is appreciated.

I am not sure about using two graphics cards at the same time for output simutaneously. What I can say that will work is a video card with dual head display. The second monitor can display as a clone of the first if that is your wish. But the key is there is only one video card in the machine. We use a matrox g450 here for some similar tasks.

Van-

I have On-Board Video on MotherBoard and a GeForce MX Graphics card. I am able to use both monitor outputs and the TV out so that all 3 Displays show the same output. However I'm not sure how to set up XP's Dual Output, currently I am using the Nvidia software included with the GeForce card to perform this.

Greg Palmer

I have a dual-head GeForce FX 5200, but am unsure how to configure the dual-output display. If someone can help with that, I would also be very appreciative.

If you are looking to set up a Monitor/TV Out dual output then do the following.

Make sure all cables are plugged in to the monitor/TV/Computer before switching the PC on.

Right click on the desktop and select properties.

Click on the Settings Tab, you should now see 2 monitors in the display.

Click on the Advanced button and then click on the GeForce Tab.

Click On Nview display mode. In there click on Clone.

You can now set the TV up as your second Display.

Click on the second monitor and then click on Device Settings and then Select Output device.

Select the TV option button and now click on Change Format.

If you live in the UK the format is I/PAL for other countries you will have to pick your own.

Then keep clicking on Apply and OK until you get to the desktop and then restart your machine.

You Should now find that if you switch your TV to the right channel the output from the PC is sent to the TV.

There are other settings that are worth changing, so for example if you are planning to watch movies from the PC you can set the tv to auto full screen.

Once you get the out puts set up we can discuss these.

Greg Palmer

Why do you attach second monitor to another card ? you can attach it to same card which having two 15-pin output. You can purchase it from market or you can go to an electronic engineer who can do soldring which have oneside Male-15 pin other side have two Female-15 pin. Now your job is done.
In market also some cards available which have two output. you can use them.

SP2003,
Yes you can get cards with 2 outputs. However what you are saying about having an electronics engineer change a single output into a dual output will still have the same effect. The display on both screens will be the same. What Steve is trying to do is have an extended desktop. This is where the right half of the desktop is shown on one monitor and the left half on another monitor. You can also have it so the top half of the screen is on one monitor and the bottom half on another. There are also other variations based on the software that you have which is managing the display. If this to work though you have to have 2 physical outputs that the computer recoginses as seperate outputs and can manage independantly of each other. So what you are suggesting will not work and is what Steve was essentially trying to do by buying a splitter cable.

Greg Palmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back