Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Display resolution stuck at lowest end

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuppa

MIS
Mar 31, 2002
DE
Hey, my display resolution is the lowest in the range (640x480) and I cannot raise it. I just bought this machine with a 3dfx voodoo graphics card. i have installed the driver for the graphicscard. it still doesn't let me move the button for the resolution in "desktop properties" up.

I would appreciate any hints.

Thanks, Georg

Re-install the driver, and note where any unzipped files are put. Then Right-click on My Computer, goto properties, then click on Device Manager Tab, then click on Display Adapters, then press your display adapter, then press REMOVE . It will re-start, and then the hardware wizard will come on asking for the driver. Then specify the location of the driver that was unzipped.

Hope this helps you out. [deejay]
Nate
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!"

Also ... make sure you are running DirectX 8 at least for the Voodoo ... and you must be rebooting after all of these changes too.

Terry

you may have a conflict with your new card and your old one. If your old card is built in make sure it is completely removed from Device Manager. Biffo, the Godfather of making mistakes in life. Although, his Tek-Tips answers and questions are no mistakes.

Also, make sure you have selected the appropriate monitor. If you're specific monitor is not listed, try Plug and Play Monitor, Default Monitor, or Super VGA 1024x768 @ 75Hz. You may have to reboot inbetween selecting different monitors.

Start->Settings->Control Panel->Display->Settings->Advanced

Thank you guys a lot for sharing hints with me. This is a great forum!
I tried out all the ways you suggested, but it is still
not working. I re-installed the 3dfx voodoo and directx 8 drivers. I updated the monitor driver with the newest from the manufacturer (ADI 5A). For the display adapter I am using the "Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA)" or "Super VGA". In the latter case I can change the display resolution, but after restarting win98 says "Your adapter is incompatible, or your hardware does not support the display settings" and doesn't let me change it.
Is there another display adapter driver I am supposed to use? I do not have one I guess.

Thank you guys a lot!

-Georg

There are video boards where you have to install the driver set onto the computer before they are available for changing.
I don't know if your board is one of those.
If your privious was onboard, in addition to removing from device manager, cripple it in CMOS. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Like Biffo and ED were getting at ...

Some mother boards have a physical jumper on them that dis-ables the onboard video. Can you tell us the name and numbers of the mother board?

First thing you might try NOW if you KNOW none of this is the case, reinstall Windows ontop of itself, because as for as I know that Video Board is an AGP and not a PCI so think about that too.

If you do have onboard Video and you are still plugged in to it you need to plug this into the new baord. Not that I think you haven't done that, but I know people that didn't, OK!

Also if you have on board, use it to unplug the Voodoo and reboot without it, then reboot again for sure, then turn it back off, re-install the Voodoo and hope for plug and play to ask for the driver disk.

Try those things, OK.

Give all information you have completely if you need more advice, ok!

Terry

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think you're supposed to be using "Standard PCI Graphics Adapter" or "Super VGA". Both are generic drivers, which is why one doesn't let you change the resolution and the other is incompatible.

You say you installed the 3dfx driver, but if so, you wouldn't need to select a display adapter. They should be one in the same. Try updating this driver and look for an *.inf file that was provided by 3dfx. The .inf file contains the drivers that you need. Do you have a CD from 3dfx that should have come with the video card? That's the first place I would look for the .inf file.

Thanks a lot, guys, for your helpful hints. I tried some of this. I am also wondering about this display adapter, whether it should come with the 3dfx.

I removed the monitor and the display adapter in the Device Manager, but let the 3dfx card driver installed, and rebooted. The first thing win98 asked for was the display adapter, and suggested the default "Standard PCI driver". I choose to select from the list of available drivers, and found one on the 3dfx-CD, named V2-auto.inf. When I selected it, win said "This directory doesn't contain any information about your hardware."

What does this mean? Which hardware - the monitor? If so, then it found the monitor before it installed the (default) driver for it?

Thanks a lot again. I am feeling that we will solve this.

OK ... I have seen this before now that you give more detail. There is an INSTALLER on the CD that drives the Video Board and it will be in a form of a setup.exe or actually the CD should Auto Run if placed in the CD with Windows running. Browse the CD if not and find the Setup file, run the program and walk through the steps to configure your Video Board.

The file V2-auto.inf is on the "root" CD and you would have to scan the entire CD to find the driver you need ... most the time they are in sub folders called Drivers, but I am not completely sure. Try to run the installer on the CD and see.

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back