Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Display Properties keep resetting only on restart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy100

Technical User
Jun 25, 2004
GB
Hi,

The problem I'm having is with a Cirrus 5446 PCI graphics card, running win98se.
I've set the display properties, but everytime I restart they get reset to 256 colours and 640 screen res.
But if I shutdown and then start up, the properties don't change?

I know it's time for a new card really, but this one has got me puzzled.
I would really like to find out why a shutdown works, but a restart dosn't?

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers, Happy.

At the school district we bought a bunch of Touch computers with Cirrus Logic 5446 cards and found they did not work with windows 98 (the computers came with win95) The ones we could we upgraded to 2K the others we left with 95.

The only difference between a "cold" boot (turned off), and a "warm" boot (re-start), is that the power is removed on a cold boot. Reseat the video card and try. If this doesn't fix it, try another card. Firsr: check in BIOS setup, make sure "PCI" is first video checked. Also look for something about "ESCD" (automatically reset), and change to the other choice. You may not have this setting, depends on the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back