Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Display problem, Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

astracom

Technical User
Dec 21, 2003
GB
I have a laptop with a 15” screen and a 17” external monitor connected to it. The laptop default display settings are “true colour 1024 x 768. When I view certain webb pages they are not formatted correctly. If I change the display settings to 800 x 600 everything’s fine , all pages viewed are correctly displayed. The problem is quite straight forward I’m sure. I want to leave the settings on 800 x 600 however, when viewing on the 17” external monitor this setting is fine but when I change to the laptops screen this setting only uses part of the screen. There is over 1” border not used. Hope this makes sense to someone and they can help.

It makes perfect sense and it's not a problem as such but a limitation of the hardware. The LCD Flat Panel screen on the notebook is usually optimized for 1024x768 pixels and the 800x600 setting will not use all the screen. That's a difference between the CRT monitor and the LCD Thin Film Transistor [TFT] technology. Larger notebook screens can have yet a larger resolution number, such as now showing up on the wider screens.

Adding to the issue is the way web designers create their pages, they forget that a lot of people are not using 19" and larger monitors that they are using. 17" is most popular but there's many more 15" still in use and even some 14" on the older systems.

Thanks for your detailed response. Can I do anything to resolve this issue?

Many laptops have the ability to use software to expand the a smaller screen resolution to fill the laptop's screen. Most laptops I've worked with have this option in the BIOS. I think IBM Thinkpads also come with software for this.

However, since its taking 800x600 pixels and expanding it to fill 1024x768, you'll have image quality loss, and there's absolutely nothing you can do about that.

Hi !
It's possible that the bios in the laptop can stretch
the 800*600 display to fit the screen .
Or that the display driver can do it.
You might try that out.

But the downside can be more blurry picture than
in 1024*768 mode (if thats the LCD resolution of the laptop).

A LCD screen has unlike CRT's a fixed resolution
at e.g 1024*768 in your case of the buildt in screen on your laptop.

syar

Check to see if there are updated drivers for your pc on the manufacturer's website. In some cases, upgrading the video drivers will resolve the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back