Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

display only ten rows max per report column

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcePak

Technical User
Nov 7, 2001
US
Hi,

I just want to have a report display 10 rows per column in a report, and then have any left over records be tossed to an adjacent column.

For example:

If I had only 6 records in a source, my report would look like this

Column 1
A
B
C
D
E
F

But if i had 26 records in a source, my report would look like this

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3
A K U
B L V
C M W
D N X
E O Y
F P Z
G Q
H R
I S
J T

I'm sure there's a way to do this and I'm sure I just don't have the experience to know how to do it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Mike

Check out the help on snaking columns. There are also properties to print a header at the top of a new column, keep together , etc. I actually used the label wizard to create a shell for doing this!
-Geno

Geno,
Thanks for the expedient delivery!

I looked at the snaking columns section of Access Help. It pretty much led me to the section on making extra columns and changing column size. I had played around with that before, to no avail, but I figured I'd try again. What caught my eye was the paragraph on changing column HEIGHT (which in essence, just changes the detail section size). So i adjusted it, but the detail section never stays a set height. I even changed "Can Grow" to No. Even I could just set the height to be constant to have a "cut-off line".

Oh and I probably shouldn't have labeled my columns separately up top, the information i want would all have the same column headings since it's the same information, just in smaller adjacent columns instead of one large column.

Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong?

Well IP, not too sure. I cheated by using the label wizard (that guarantees a fixed detail size though). You can get headers over each column by adding a group header and setting the New Row or Col property to "Before Section";
In the property page for the entire REPORT, set Grp Keep Together to "Per Column". To gain further control over the actual printed page, go to the "File" drop-down menu and select the "Columns" tab under "Page Setup". I think you would want to change Column Layout to "Down, Then Across". You can also set detail section size there too (I think).
And finally, if all of this is thoroughly confusing (it is),
there is a good article in Access97 help: search for "Examples of reports that start each group in a new row or column" (I just entered "set report columns" as my criteria). Sorry it's not a later version of Access at my end - if you are using 2000 or 2002 it's probably in there somewhere! Good luck, and let me know how it goes!
-Geno
Wisconsin, USA (Go Pack!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back