Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Display name in report header

Status
Not open for further replies.

3699wat

Technical User
Sep 30, 2002
US
I would like to display the first name and last name of a person in the form header of forms bound to different tables when selected in a listbox (filter is PersonID) from a main form. Example
TableA
PersonID 1
FName John
LName Doe

TableB
PersonID 1
FieldA
FieldB

TableC
PersonID 1
FieldD
FieldE

Each table is bound to a form from which it gets updated. I started of with 1 table containing all the fields, but I really was getting too long. I tried to split the table using the table analyzer, but that didn't get me there. If I use a query than it won't let me update.
Any suggestions

If you must break a table in multiple tables (you shouldn't unless it has more then 255 fields) then your relationship between the tables is one-to-one.

So key personID in each table. Open relationships and connect the tables by personID with Enforce Referential Integrity checked.

Next build a query with all the tables. Select all the fields but only one personID. When you enter the personID for one table all the other tables get the number automatically.

Build your form based on this query and you will be able to add and edit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back