Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Display Message everyday 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmandu

IS-IT--Management
Feb 27, 2001
US
I am trying to display a message to all users on my NT network when the user logs in everytime . The message is 2-3 paragraphs long and is a statement of policy of my company. We want everyone to see it and read at least once. I tried going to the login bat file and using echo and pause, but to many things are going on in the computer in its boot up process. The dos window gets overwrittin etc. Plus I also get weird results using the echo command.
It doesn't like long sentences and usually gives me an error and displays erratically. IT does this even if i turn echo off and then back on.

I am not to familiar with doing things globally on the netowrk. WE have no provisions as far as I know. Everything is done by going from machine to machine. I want to avoid this.Again my only thought was the login.bat ,, but this so far isnt working to well. Like I said it will start and play 2-3 sentences that I have the word echo before and the sentences will have error messages by them.

Thanks

Create a .reg file that contains the following. Replace the text with what you want displayed. There is a text limit here but I don't remember what it is. Then use login.bat to import the file when the user logs in. The call is "regedit \s \\path\legalnotice.reg".

This will cause a notice to be displayed the next time that the user logs on that must be clicked on before they can even attempt to logon.

Play with the .reg file and make sure it works properly before you put it into the script for safety. Good luck

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"LegalNoticeCaption"="Company Legal Notice"
"LegalNoticeText"="All Computerized Information Resources are the property of this oganization and are intended for business purposes only. Unauthorized use of information access privileges is specifically prohibited."

We used to diplay a daily message as a HTML page from within the logon script, this works fine, and has less overhead of updating everyones registry key every time you want to change the message.

Dan

To be fair, your companies statement of policy should only change once in a blue moon.

MCCONMW I dont quite get it. Why would I create a file called legalnotice.reg but then go in to reged32 on the server and create the entrys under "legalnoticetext"= what you typed in

From your answer this is what it seems like. Where does the .reg file go and what does it contain ?(Does it contain [HKEY_LOCAL...etc] So Im calling something in from the registry ??: I dont get it.

Also THere is NO reference in the registry to legalnotice.reg if this is the file that contains the info.
and what is regedit4????? THanks

tmandu - I think what he means is you create a reg file and get your login script to import it into the registry of your NT Workstations on login. Then, next time the machine is rebooted, the legal notice will appear.

To surmise, your reg file must contain the following keys (whether they exist already on your NT Workstations or not, they will be created):

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"LegalNoticeCaption"="Company Legal Notice"
"LegalNoticeText"="All Computerized Information Resources are the property of this oganization and are intended for business purposes only. Unauthorized use of information access privileges is specifically prohibited."

Shouldn't changes made to the reg setting on the server be enough to make the caption appear on the Workstations?

I don't know - I tried the above and the call "regedit \s \\path\legalnotice.reg". did'nt work - I tried to find some info on the proper parameters - but I couldnt get this to work(Yes, I did change the path name relative to my system and the file name-- I soted it on a network drive-- could this be affecting it.. If I eliminated the space before the \s it has a problem , if I leave it it doesnt work.

As long as your reg file has the correct syntax your statement above should work. However, now that I think about it, I believe the entry is in an area of the registry where users only have read access so you must be logged in as either an admin or a power user to the local machine for it to work.

The reg update has to be run on the clients, not the server. The result should be that the message appears before the login box. "It's true, its damn true!"

Would I have my login script (on the server) call their iexplorer to open up a predetermined web page that displays the message ????

** Would I just put the address of the page in the login script like

\\myserver\hsysvol\INTRAweb\notice.htm

and then when the local machine sees it, it would open this page and they would get the message and have to close it ???

Thanks

A different approach:

We have a popup program that contains text and a couple of buttons that are links to Intranet sites. The program is an EXE that needs no dlls and will run on any Windows machine. All of the users login scripts have a CALL to this program which resides on a public share. Any time we change the program, everyone gets the change at the next login. No installs, no registry....just a little Visual Basic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back