Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Display Many Rolled Up Milestones on Same Date

Status
Not open for further replies.

blchung

Technical User
Apr 1, 2009
US
Hi All,

I am new to this board so I hope this question isn't too elementary for some of you seasoned folks.

I'm trying to display milestones of 9 different projects in one file. I did this by creating 9 separate files with tasks and milestones and then one high-level file that has all 9 project files imported. The goal is to have all of the project milestones displayed on each project's highest-level timeline. The problem I'm running into is that if I have many milestones on the same date, I can't seem to display all of the milestones on the timeline because (A) nowhere to fit the text and (B) not all of the milestones roll-up to the high-level for some reason.

Is it possible to display something like this:

Date
4/1/2009

Milestone 1 Name
Milestone 2 Name
Milestone 3 Name
Highest-level: Start--------------*------------------End
Finish Date

Milestone 1 Name
Lower Level: *
Finish Date

Milestone 2 Name
Finish Date

Milestone 3 Name
Finish Date

I know how to display the Lower Level Milestone Names/Dates, but I can't seem to get the highest-level display. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I know of no way to "stack" the milestone names.

As I have said many times here, Project is great for controlling projects, poor for pretty pictures; Paint is great for pretty pictures, poor for controlling projects.

If some of your milestones aren't rolling up, insert the column "Rollup" and make sure that it is set to Yes for the milestones you are expecting to roll up. Multiple milestones on the same date that are rolled up to the summary task appear to display only one of the milestone names when your cursor hovers over the diamond.

Is there any other way to show all of the milestones without toying with the spacing and time scales?

Thanks for the quick response!

Glib answer: View > Calendar

Serious answer: No.

jblack34 has had some good insights here. Perhaps he/she has a suggestion.

Thanks for all of your help!

I entered in many milestones in the Text Field variable and then displayed "Text1" above the Milestone marker to show it on the highest-level timeline.

I guess that works for now...

That will certainly work (just remember to keep the Text1 field updated).

The View > Calendar approach does "stack" the milestones and you can configure it so that only Summary and Milestone tasks are displayed.

You might also want to consider View > Gantt and set the filter to "Milestones". The milestones won't be stacked above the bar but they will be easily seen in terms of dates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back