Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Display and Capture filter in one re: Luara Chappell

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacob200

IS-IT--Management
Sep 6, 2000
US
Does anyone know how to trick sniffer into using the same set of filters for capture and display use? I heard that Laura Chappell often shows this "trick" but I have not seen it done yet. Any help is apprecited. Thank you.

Page 3-77 in my TNV-101-GUI it states (in my notes from the instructor) 'Capture filters can be used in all modes; display filters can only be used in display mode. Modes are: Monitor; Capture; Display; and Triggers.'

In other words, if one were to build a capture filter, one could use the capture filter during a capture session and the same filter could also be used while in display mode.

Hope this is the answer you are looking for.
Craig
SCP

See Laura Chappell's book "Capturing the Cool Packets", page 23:
Quote: " ...on the Sniffer, I never build display filters (right click on a trace file and select "Define Filter." I only build capture filters (click on the little magic wan on the menubar). I use these capture filters as both capture and display filters." Unquote.

And the top of page 24: Auote: " The moral of the story? Don't build display filters on the Sniffer-only build capture filters- they'll do everything you need." Unquote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back