Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DiskSuite 1.4.2 on Solaris 8 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgonan

MIS
Feb 23, 2005
US
I'm installing and configuring disksuite on a Solaris 8 ultra 5, my first experience with it. I already created my state databases, one on each of 2 paritions on each drive. The 2nd drive was bigger than the first but I only partitioned the part of a drive so it was identical in size and structure to the first (this is a test system before a real one comes in). I just want to mirror one drive onto the other. I set up a submirror d24 and d34 and created the mirror D14 (for /var). A metastat said everything was alright. I did a metattach d14 d34 and it indicated it was fine and way rsyncing.

I unmounted /var and edited the vfstab /dev/dsk/md/d14 /dev/rdsk/md/d14 /var.

When I tried to mount /var, I got an error that said "can't mount /var". I know the drive is ok cause other regular partitions were mounted from it. I ran an fsck on d14 and then I was able to mount /var, but it was empty. I don't know what caused it?

Any ideas?

Yes, move the mirror to the main slot and then do a regular boot. If you change the /etc/vfstab that will work also. The thing with mirrors is that it's primarily designed to be re-synced up while the system is still up and running. (ie: pull out the primary while it's running then stick it back in, and you will see that it fails but your system is still running properly). If the system is powered off or rebooted before you correct the sync issue then you will have to change the /etc/vfstab or swap the location of the hard drive.

Cgonan...
With devalias set up, you can test your mirror drive by removing the primary drive and rebooting your system. Since NVRAM setting boot-device has aliases for both the primary drive and the mirror, if the primary drive is unavailable, the system will boot to the mirror.

I had that and it didn't work. At the ok prompt I can say boot disk0 and boot disk1 and they boot find. But if I put boot-device disk0 disk1 in nvram, and remove the power from disk0, it won't boot. Its an old ultra 5 and they are both on the same IDE bus.

I'm having such a problem. Thank

I set up the nvalias like this. I also try it without the :a, and I get "can't open boot device". I tried it without the leading / before the first pci. That is the only entry in /dev/dsk/ for c0t1.

HELP.

nvramrc=devalias mirror-disk /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/sd@1,0:a

bash-2.03# ls -al /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 45 Apr 18 11:49 /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s0 -> ../..
/devices/pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/sd@1,0:a
bash-2.03#

You don't need to create the device alias using nvramrc. Just the devalias command: devalias mirror-disk /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/sd@1,0:a

You can verify the alias has been stored by running command devalias.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back