Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disks appear mysteriously unformated

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaymax2U

Technical User
Oct 1, 2008
US
Windows XP and on Win 2K Pro

I have an intermittent problem on my hard disks, that appear on start up or reboot.
Manufacturers Diagnostics and S.M.A.R.T. tests all come back OK!

The disks are shown as unformatted in My Computer listing, asking if I want it to be reformatted ... etc.
Usually, I ignore it and on subsequent reboots it disappears. Perhaps, I may have done something to cause the change but what I do not know.

Has any one has this experience, and if so what have you done consciously to correct it?

Thanks

Check the drives for errors using Windows. Open up 'My Computer' and right-click the problematic drive(s). Select 'Properties' from the context menu and select the 'Tools' tab. Under 'Error-checking' select 'Check Now...' and check both options to fix errors and scan for bad sectors. See if Windows reports any errors on the drive.

Joey
CCNA, MCSA 2003, MCP, A+, Network+, Wireless#

The check now boxes just revert to their original config - This probably occurs because the disk is now seen as a RAW disk, This is similar to what happens when I attempt to run chkdsk diskletter: /F

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back