Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Diskeeper 5 for NT Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

deej

Vendor
Dec 9, 1999
EU
Just for info!!!<br>
I have just acquired a trial copy of Executive Software's Diskeeper 5 for NT4 Server and was wondering how if it can defrag a server which is setup for Raid5 with an Array of 5 SCSI disks.<br>
I am sure it will work fine but I thought I'd ask the gurus before I install it on my data server.<br>
Cheers...<br>

I'm currently using a combination of 4.x and 5.x on 27 Compaq servers, all RAID 5 (+ 1 ready spare), 11 9.3 GB disks/RAID. Every combo. of NT flavors you can imagine (exchange, SMS, SQL 6.5 and 7.0, file and print, etc.) Haven't had any problems since 4.x was introduced, although on several boxes I had to un-install, delete from the registry and re-install the 4.x version. I've never loaded a trial version so I'm not sure what the limitations are (time, functions). Good Luck

I have used the trial version on a 3 SCSI RAID 5 array without any problems or time limitations. However, do not expect complete defrag. This is more to do with NT than Diskeeper. I found running the defrag process several times from the start gave better results than re-running within a current Diskeeper session. It pays to move your paging file off the drive/drive letter being defragged. For best results move any large files and/or directory structures off the drive/drive letter first. When defrag is done move them back and NT will place them into the best available defragged area.

One thing I've heard from our parent co. is that is that Diskeeper need to do an NT checkdisk on initial install to enable the advanced features. Since checkdisk must be done as part of the boot process and is s...l...o...w... your server is down for while. The one they started it on had about 150GB of disk and the checkdisk ran for over 6 days before the system could finish booting. Something to look out for. <p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I got started with the trial verson v3.0 and move to the full verson 4.0 using it on workstation and servers alike...<br>
Exchange, SQL, PDC, RAS and so on. I too remove the pagefile.sys but also I run chkdisk and Diskeeper Boot-Time Directories defragmenting first before defragmenting the drive. <br>
<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back