Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk to Disk backups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pozz1016

MIS
Feb 16, 2001
US
I am thinking about building a backup server and doing disk to disk backups, is this possible with Backup Exec 8.0? I can't seem to figure out how I would create a backup device out of a disk. Any help would be appreciated.

I assume you are talking about backing up from Hard Druve to Hard Drive (if not what disk do you mean).

The answer is NO BackUp exec backs up to a tape medium. It has to have a recognizable tape drive that it can recognizes.

Yes, I did mean hard drive to hard drive backup. Thanks for the info. Are there any products out there that can do this?

If you have Windows 2000, the backup software it comes with it will allow you to back up to the hard drive.

The next version of Bent will include the ability to backup to disk

Thanks for that info. Do you have any idea when the next version will be released?

I would subscribe to the Veritas newsletter. As soon as the new version is out, you will know.
But as far as I know, it should be soon.

TILO

There is a product that will allow you to do something quite similar. It used to be made by Binary Research Ltd. It was called Ghost. It performs a sector mapping operation and effectively copies the entire disk partition either via LPT Port, Ethernet, or Disk to Disk (Slave/Master) typical Disk to Disk transfer rates were then approx. 80Mb/min. I believe the product was bought by Symantec and is now called Norton Ghost and I think that it now supports CDRW also. Best of luck!

Use the command scheduler! AT 10 o'clock xcopy *.* /s \\otherserver\share

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back