Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk Space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 1, 2003
US
Hi,

I am running out of Disk space on my C: Primary NT Domain; which runs Micrsoft Exchange 5.0. Is there files that do not need to be on the C:. Is there a paging file in Exchange that runs in the background?

Cathy

Don't think Exchange uses a seperate paging file.
Look on the C: drive and see if NT has it's pagefile on the C: drive. This is in the root and called pagefile.sys.
Aside from that you can temporarily compress the drive until such times as you can fit another and expand the C: partition.
Really the best option these days is to get a bigger disk.

UKNavajo

You could use the Exchange Otimizer to move log files and database files to another drive. However this could be a very risky thing to do if you have no disk space. If there is a way get all the users off the Exchange server, move files (or compress them) to make space temporarily you could then run the Optimizer and move the Exchange stuff to another drive safely.

Are you using NTFS or FAT on the C drive.

If FAT, convert it to NTFS.

HI.

Yes you can free some space.

First of all - make sure that you have a good backup of the system and data.

I sugeest that you NOT use the compression option - it will cause other problems.

Some first quick actions are:
Search for and delete *.DMP files.
Clean the TEMP folder(s)
Move the pagefile to another drive.
Use a tool like TREESIZE to find out the main disk space consumer:

Now start Exchange Administrator and in the properties of your server (if I remember) you can move the databases to another drive like D.

If you are not sure regarding MS Exchange - ask for expert assistance at your office.

Yizhar Hurwitz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back