Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

raptoid

Technical User
Nov 22, 2001
GB
Does anyone know how i can send an email alert from my windows 2000 server if the disk space hits a certain level or do i need thrid party software to do this.

Cheers

It can be done using Performance monitor. Simply set up a counter for logical disk free space. Then set an alert, and under the action option you can either have it send a network message or to send an e-mail do the following. If you want an e-mail than under the action option have it execute a program. Have it to execute microsoft outlook express or some other POP3 mailer that you will use ONLY for this purpose. In the mailer app. create an outgoing message that warns you of low disk space. Then set the send recieve option to less than a minute. Close the mail app. you are set. Thats one quick and dirty way. The other is to use SNMP but its a mission.
Honestly, third party does it best.

can you recommend any? are there any free ones as the company i work for wont shell out any money at the moment!

I cant see how to do that in Windows 2000 server. It talks about physical disk but then talks about read & write times etc. Any ideas?

Outlook Express is free, it comes with IE6. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional

"Things are not always as they seem;
the first appearance deceives many."
Phaedrus (15BC - 50AD) Roman poet, short-story writer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back