Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk Read Error 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

boweasel

IS-IT--Management
Oct 24, 2008
US
Running (or rather, WAS running) Windows XP Professional SP2. One day last week the machine began to run VERY slowly, and thinking I might have picked up something, I attempted to run Spybot S&D. I was just barely able to open the tool when the PC shut down.

When it restarted I got the DOS screen-like message "Disk Read Error. Press CNTL\ALT\DEL to restart" (or continue, I don't remember exactly). Of course CNTL\ALT\DEL only brings the same result.

I am unable to access the screen for safe mode. About the only thing I can do is access the BIOS, and I did set everything back to normal settings, but of course it made no difference.

This is a PC I bought a couple years ago from a friend (now deceased) who put it together himself, and the install CD he used is who knows where. I do have a product code for XP Pro, but without a CD I have no idea what to attempt.

I really, REALLY don't want to lose everything I have on this PC, so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

I was sympathizing with your predicament and adding a little humor. O/P = original poster.

Hope you can see some data.

Run getdata back and point it to the c drive to start recovery analysis procedure.It has a fairly good wizard that will guide you through the setup."

Yes, it works, and goombawaho I CAN see the data. I looks like most of the data is recoverable. The fly in the ointment is that I (perhaps naively) believed that I would actually be able to RECOVER data with this product. Of course, when I click on a file and press 'copy', I get a msg that says "copying is only available in the licensed version". [nosmiley]

goombawaho , I may need a little more of your humor. Every damn time I seem to be getting close the rug gets yanked out from under me.

getdataback is not a free program but its price is not overly bad when you consider sending the drive out to a data recovery company can cost in excess of a $1,00.00 it's price tag is reasonable.
Unfortunately to often we forget to backup important data and usually have to just bite the bullet and lose it all.
I know i have worked in a computer repair shop and have had to use the program to recover data before and it can take a few hours if the drive is really poor shape.
I dont know what computer shops charge for hourly rates now but some in canada where 98.00 an hour so1 hour actually pays for the software.

Yeah - if you can see the data, buy the product. You're getting a bargain compared to "professional data recovery services" which start at the $500 mark and go up.

Grab the data while you can. Spend the $79 and do it before anything worse happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back