Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk Quotas in Windows 2003 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

markcsand

MIS
Apr 8, 2004
US
Is there a way to set disk quotas on network shares? Our company has serveral shares on one drive that different departments have access to. I wanted to limit the amount each person could save to the share. We also have a linux samba server, is it possible on this? If either is possible how is it done? Thanks for the help.

Yes, it depends on the version of Windows. Windows has built in Quota ability however, prior to R2, it was VOLUME WIDE. Meaning you can say user jsmith has a 1 GB quota, but ANY share on the logical drive letter will impose that 1 GB limit - AND it will be cumulative. So if you have 3 shares and share1 has the user storing 300 MB, Share2 has 500 MB, then Share3 has a maximum of 200 MB (basically the total of all 3 shares cannot exceed 1 GB).

In R2, there is a new mechanism available that allows you to put quotas on individual folders meaning that, in essence, each share can have it's own unique quota setting.

As for Linux, yes, it too can do quotas, but I've not experimented with this for a LONG time. I would suggest searching for "linux quota" or check out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back