Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk Partition 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFix

Technical User
Aug 5, 2003
US
The Hard drive on my Windows 2000 server is partitioned into
C and D drives. While D drive still has whooping 20 GB on it, C drive is just left with 600 MB on it. What can I do to move some space from D to C drive. Or in anyway that I can create some space on C drive itself. Is their Partion Magic available for Windows 2000 server.

There are other things you can try as well. First off, compress folders that are not accessed heavily or are primarily used as archives. Access will be slower to compressed folders but you will gain space. Second, check the log sizes and delete them if you can. Configure your log sizes not to exceed a specified size. Logs are kept all over the place so you will have to look around. If you are using WINS, then compact the WINS database with the jetpack.exe utility on a monthly basis. If it has never been compacted, you will get a nice return to start with. Do you have the ability to create another partition somewhere? Windows gives you the ability to make a partition on another drive look like a folder on your current drive rather than assigning it a drive letter (no spanning involved doing it, either). Reduce the size of your virtual memory file on your system file if you have to, but let windows also use a secondary virtual memory file on another drive as well. I wouldn't reduce the file below the amount of RAM as this will affect writing the kernel data in a crash. Compact your exchange database regularly.

In addition to compacting the Exchange database on a regular basis, you should limit the size of individual users storage capacity as well.

You can force the mail packrats to reduce the use of Exchange as an infinite storage area that way, and recover vast amounts of space. Tell them they either do it or risk losing everything, that usually gets some cooperation. Also, give them a week or two to take action, back it up, delete the old stuff, and wait for the howls!

Have the Exchange automatically delete any mail over x-days old, but BE SURE you have a good backup of the data before starting this so you can recover something that turns up to be absolutely needed six months later. I have some users that are getting close the the 2 GB storage limit for outlook, and although they have been warned, it will, of course, be IT's fault when their system hangs and looses mail.

Remember the old saying, "If the drive space is there, users will exceed it eventually."

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back