Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk or Network error

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlucker

IS-IT--Management
Apr 30, 2003
US
am an asst. Net admin for a small company. They are developing (with an outside contractor) a new database system with access 2000. On the workstations as the users are accessing the database at various times They receive repeatedly "Disk or Network error"(dont remember the code off the top of my head, I think 3034). Now comes in the problem. in no way claim to be an expert on this problem nor in access but the developer swears that it is a network issue that the it department must address. Now i have done some preliminary checking into the situation and can find nothing wrong with the network that should cause this issue. Trying to explain that to her she just insists it isnt her system development. My real point to her is that this only happens when they are using the system she developed and that this error never shows up in other networked apps or any other time. So my question is could this problem be stemming from the access db/system she is developing or not and if so what hints are there that we could use in helping resolve this situation.

Hi!

The next time you see the error, click on the debug button (if available) to see where it takes you. If that doesn't produce any more information then it would help to know a few other things:

What are the users doing when the get this error?
Is the database split FE/BE?
If it is, where does the FE reside? Server or PCs
Are the tables linked using logical drives or absolute paths?

Get us as much information as you can think to ask about.

Jeff Bridgham
bridgham@purdue.edu

I have encountered this error message a couple of times with A2K database that I have either converted from A97 or where I have imported A97 modules.

I tried to find the specific microsoft reference (I have it printed off but it's lost in the stack) that discusses this.

From what I remember, the problem has to do with the code modules; if they are imported and not immediately compiled, the system will generate the disk or network error message.

Based on my experience with this, I think the error message is pointing at the application and not your network, especially if you are not encountering any other network problems.

Hope this helps. If I come across the MS reference I'll pass it along.

Larry De Laruelle
ldelaruelle@familychildrenscenter.org

I will check that tomorrow and post back...thx guys

I get this message regularly on my database. It is not split into FE/BE, Acc97, files are stored on a server accessed over LAN. Ususally one or two people on each database, but happens even when only one person is using it.

Normal cure is to close the database, and reopen. Debug is never available as it is not a module/code error, but it thinks it is a hardware error. The forms remain open but all data is #error# and all code stops functioning.

I'll keep and eye on this thread and see if this information helps.

A funny thing happened on the way to the MS Knowledge Base . . .

Yesterday, I could find no result when searching for 'Disk or Network Error'; this is where I had found the info when I first had the problem.

Today, the d*&n thing doesn't seem to work at all.

Oh well, I'll keep trying.

Larry De Laruelle
ldelaruelle@familychildrenscenter.org

That is the only link I can find in MS KB articles...sigh...not very intuitive.

To answer jebry tho, I asked a few questions, and this is what I could come up with.
1) Generally the users are in the system at various points of the FE.
2) The backend resides on the server while the front end resides on the clients and is copied over at each client startup in the morning.
3) The tables are linked using logical drives.

The only thing that I think may also be an issue is the system is still being developed as in they dont have the finished version completed yet. So when she makes changes to the frontend there is a batch file on the users desktops that they use to get the FE updates. We went to the batch file because there are some issues with the carryover of the frontend when users would open the shortcut to the system. Otherwise I can think of nothing else odd about this.

Hi!

Well, I'm not a network expert but you do get similar problems with outlook and IE if there is a temporary interruption to network service. Sometimes even a very small disruption causes this type of error. One thing you might do is write a function that the user can run from a 'reconnect' button that re-establishes the connections from the front end to the back end. This will keep the user from having to close and re-open Access.

hth

Jeff Bridgham
bridgham@purdue.edu

HI

The problem you are experiencing is probably an oplock error. It is NOT Access per se and it is a Windows 2000 server error. You need to edit the autodisconnect registry entry on your Windows 2000 server and the workstations. The default is 15 minutes I use 500.

What happens is after the specified amount of time of inactivity the autodisconnect feature kicks in.

This is kind of old so I am not giving you the time to research all the detauls. But if you search MSKB for Autodisconnect you will find it.

Ikester

I used to experience this all the time (Access 97), until I split the database into front/back ends. If the front end is on the local drive, the application can survive a minor interuption of network service. If it's on the network, it never can, from my experience.

The problem happens when you copy any form, report or object that has code behind it from another database. You must compile the database before closing it or you'll experience that exact error.

Hope you have a backup. Importing all of the objects into a new DB will sometimes work, but than again sometimes you'll get the same error during the import process.

Don't ask me why I know this :)

Hmm interesting thought ikester...but the users are telling me that this can happen even when they are in the Access database itself for no reason at all. It appears to be very random.

It is split into fe/be where as the fe is loaded onto the workstations from the server at startup and the be is accessed from the server.

Ran across this post had to comment. We are experiencing the same problem. It did this when were running NT 4.0 and hubs and Windows 95-98 on workstations. We have upgraded servers to 2000, replaced the hubs with switches and upgraded desktops to XP Pro and still experience the same thing. We also had a company come in and test the network drops and patch cables. I'm still stumped.

Hi everyone:
Well I usually get this error, I compact the database and automatically it will tell you to create a new database. It will compact and then after compact you can delete the previous bad version of the database. Also, Compile your modules to make sure everything is good with access 97 coding.
Also I have a Jetcom that makes you shut down the jet engine of access and lets you get into the database. I will post it tomorrow online so everyone would have it. Thanks
Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back