Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk or network error

Status
Not open for further replies.

SrkrReds

Programmer
Dec 17, 2001
US
We have an access DB that is split into front and backend(both on the same server on the network). Front end is about 12MB and backend is about 75MB. Since past 2 weeks some users keep getting Disk or Network Error. We feel it's a network problem, and IT thinks it's the DB problem. We never had this problem until 2 weeks ago. That is the time they did some changes in the network settings. This error is causing all kinds of problems in the DB. Right after that, all users start getting "Unrecognised DB Format" error. It is so frustrating.

If anyone experienced this or heard about this, Please help!!!!!!!!!

thanx in advance....

Yes, I'd definitely say it's a network error, but strange that it should happen through the same machine. (Why do you have a front end and a back end on the same machine, anyway? Separate question...) Try opening the back end and doing a Tools > DB Utilities > Compact and Repair (if you're on 2k, can't remember where compact and repair are in 97). Also, refresh the links in the front-end db. It may be that network changes caused the connection to be lost or corrupted.

Howdy

"Unrecognized DB Format" error is a pretty vanilla warning you need to do some db repair NOW! downwitch.... explained how to do this (you need to make sure everyone is logged out).

As for the cause, check the 'links' between your app and the data source. Your IT Dept may have blown them away.

I would like to know the outcome

I have seen this happen in cases where you have large amounts of data and the network is extremely slow. Access will "time out" trying to get to the data and give the Network Error message. We would wait 10-15 minutes and try again with no problems depending on how much network traffic there is... Only suggestion would be to look for a problem (especially if you are running token ring) or move the app to a different server.

"Disk or Network Error" is definitely a network traffic problem. I had the same trouble with an 18,000 record database (11 Mb) and it occurred occasionally. IT guys always deny this and blame your application, but it's the inadequacy of their system. Once we went from 10Mb to 100Mb network, the problem almost never occurred.
The "Unrecognised DB Format" error sounds like something else, though, so for that you should check your database.
Of course, network traffic problems may damage the db on opening or closing.

Last year I have the same problem, but this error IS NETWORK, I get the solution: "Vefificate and certificate your conexion, (a new hub in cascade), cables, etc. get the level 5 certification you dont have any problem later.

JCHR

I am one of those IT guys who always blames the db (I know my profile says programmer...thats what I was THAT day). Anyway, I have had this exact problem be caused by a faulty patch cable. The only way I found it was that by chance the same user tanked the database a few minutes after I restored from backup.
A+, N+, MCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back