Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk name, disk alias Sun Management Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

bi

Technical User
Apr 13, 2001
US
I'm running solaris 7 on a SPARC system. I have used DiskSuite to create my filesystems. Their device names have such designations as d24, d30, etc. Those devices may have several slices on them. I can correlate the raw disk name (c0t0d0s3, for example) to the d24 device name with DiskSuite.

I am running Sun Management Center to monitor my system. Disk names that are listed in the Health Monitor Section have such names as md0, md1, etc. How can I match up the md numbers in Management Center d24 device designations? Without this information, any alerts I receive about a disk being too busy or having a long wait time are meaningless. If I don't know what filesystem is on the disk that is giving out the alert, I can't do anything about it to solve the problem.

And can anyone tell me why Sun does it this way? It seems rather convoluted.

I think you will find that md stands for mettadevice. They should correspond to your device numbers.
Ged Jones

Top man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back