Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk Mirroring on Windows 2000 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBLR

IS-IT--Management
Jun 13, 2002
IN
I would like to Mirror 2 hard disk which having same capacity. I have some questions below:-

1. Can I mirror thru Windows 2000 Professional?
2. Can I load OS and Application on the second hard disk and will boot via second hard disk if the primary fails.

3. Basically I should have 2 partition and the mirrored partitions shoud be of same capacity. Am I correct?

Thanks in advance for the reply.

If you search the Win2K help file for mirrored volume you should find the information you require.

But I think in answer to your questions:

1. Yes
2. Yes, mirroring is fault tolerant.
3. It requires cloning the source data on two partitions. These partitions must be on seperate physical disks (to provide fault tolerance). James Goodman

Actually, I may have been mistaken with the answer to 2nd question. If the primary disk fails, the data should still be available, but I am not sure the volume will be bootable... James Goodman

You cannot do software mirroring with windows 2000 professional. It is a feature only for server. you may see the option greyed out in disk management, that is because you can still configure a server's mirroring remotely from a workstation. Best bet is to get a raid card.(or scsi controller that supports raid) The only thing you have to know is how to find the answer.

If it weren't for users, computers would work just fine....If computers worked I'd be unemployed!

Norton Ghost 2002 claims to be able to create mirror images for Windows 2000.

Good info, paltask14c.

I use Norton ghost for some of my personal backups of a Win 2k system (works fine), and it is a good program....BUT

The disadvantage is that ghost wants you to make a boot floppy. In order to mirror, you will boot to the floppy and then mirror. That is kind of a pain in the hindquarters for most people. For ease of use, I would highly recommend a raid card! Mudskipper

Thanks for the info.

To create a mirrored volume

Open Disk Management.
Right-click the unallocated space on one of the dynamic disks where you want to create the mirrored volume, and then click Create Volume.
In the Create Volume wizard, click Next, click Mirrored volume, and then follow the instructions on your screen.
Notes

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.
To open Disk Management, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management. In the console tree under Storage, click Disk Management.
You can create mirrored volumes only on computers running Windows 2000 Server.
You need at least two dynamic disks to create a mirrored volume.
Mirrored volumes are fault tolerant.
Mirrored volumes cannot be extended or striped.
The same drive letter is used for both copies (mirrors) of a mirrored volume.

This is in Windows 2000 help!!

My point was to show:
"You can create mirrored volumes only on computers running Windows 2000 Server."
Windows help on this subject is good, but that sentence above should be the first line in the help section so as to not have people start following instructions until they finally come to that line "only on computers running Windows 2000 Server."
Just to show you, you must read all the instructions BEFORE attempting anything..

You could always get a RAID controller or motherboard with RAID controller. If your data is that valuable to you then it's worth it. Mind you, a good backup routine many be just as valuable. Ian Boys
DTE Systems Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back