Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk Mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.

repairer

Vendor
Jan 10, 2002
I am new to Windows 2000 server, I am setting up a web ser on a Dell 2450, I want to make sure that data is backed up to another drive on the server. The server has 3 x 39gig hard drives all same make, the operating system is installed on one of these drives. I want to install it so that in the event of main drive going down I can just swap drives and be up and running again.

Many thanks

Peter

I know Windows Server 2003 supports disk mirroring but im now sure about Windows 2000. Look in 'Disk Management'. Try right clicking the disk and see if you've got "Upgrade to Dynamic Disk"

Robert Bentley

SynergyworksHosting.co.uk
"reliable services at realistic prices

Robert,

Thanks for this, followed it through and it seemed to have worked OK, only problem I see is that after mirror of drives both drives don't have same disk space used, for example my C: drive shows free space of 29gig and my mirrored drive shows free space of 33.8gig is this normal? (also noticed that whilst drives are 39 gig it only shows as 33gig in Windows.)

I presume both drives are the same size?
Drives normally show up smaller once formatted (etc), but that does seem a bit extreme.

Robert Bentley

Robert,

Yes both drives are identical, it did say it was mirroring drives and both drives appear same colour as if it worked, just cannot understand why free disk space should be different.

Your pagefile probably won't mirror, so that could be it.

Robert Bentley

I think it's the page file, it doesn't need to be mirrored.

Just check the space "missing" on the first disk is approx that of the pagefile.

Robert Bentley

repairer
You are on the right path but that is software mirroring I have learnt a lot of lesson from that so next time try hardware mirroring .You can get that from Asus mother board;I forgotten the board model but you can visit their site and can get one with raid features and you will love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back