Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk Management = no format

Status
Not open for further replies.

cursor101

Technical User
Feb 10, 2004
US
When I right click an unformatted partition using the disk management utility I don't get and option that asks if I want to format (I do). I'm logged in as the system admin and I'm the only person on the system. I'm sure its easy to solve but its late right now. I'm no moron and I'm about A+ certified so I'll take any answers at all.

Maybe this question is too simple, but is the unformatted partition at least partitioned?

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]
How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq219-2884

i tired using format in the command line and it wouldn't do that. i also have partitioned it. i'd also like to say that for some reason fdisk says that the drive is only like 11 GB when its really 80 and the disk manager says it only has a little over 72 GB. i may be mistaken but i'm pretty sure clusters don't take up that much sapce on a drive.

You may have a too old BIOS, and also make sure Service Pack and patches are installed for XP. There is one to cover disk size issues.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]
How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq219-2884

Drive manufacturers use different definitions of a gigabyte varying from 1000,000,000 to 1,073,741,824 bytes, which may account for the size difference reported, your 80GB may be just 72GB, this discrepancy is quite common.

Are we talking about FAT32 or NTFS?

Limitations of the FAT32 File System in Windows XP

316505 - Windows XP Does Not Recognize All Available Disk Space

315688 - How to Locate and Correct Disk Space Problems on NTFS Volumes in Windows XP

314878 - The Default Cluster Size for the NTFS and FAT File Systems

HOW TO: Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP (Q313348)

Read the paragraph,
"How to Partition and Format Your Hard Disk by Using Windows XP Setup."

For more help (shows enlargeable screenshots) go here.

the os i'm using is XP. i'd also like to add that i haven't activated it just yet as i have made a new install after formatting the entire system. after having some time to dwell on it, does the disk HAVE to have a primary partition. the system is composed of 2 physical drives (20 GB and 80GB) xp is on the 20 and the 80 is just for storage. the partition i made in the 80GB is extended not primary. would this make that mistake? and i'll get right on that windows update

the primay patition theory wa right. problem solved. thanks for all your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back