Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

disk i/o error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lastone

Technical User
Feb 12, 2002
US
I have just installed a new 10gig HD on compaq deskpro and after fdisk and installing win98 i get the message disk i/o error on restarting. Lastone Tembo
P.O. Box 36238
Lusaka
Zambia
tembo@carezam.org

First things first...

1. You didn't mention if the HDD is brand new... have you tried it with another pc?

2. How about the IDE cable? The pin configuration?

3. Have you tried ROMPAQ? Most Compaq boards don't recognize large capacity disks at once... try an update or a software that came with your HDD.

Cheers brother!

It means your hard disk is totally messed up. Just buy another one, although I don't think Zambia has a lot of computer stores....

I used to live there and was so glad to leave forever, I will never return. I suggest if you can, you should get out too, but only after you have found another hard disk!!!

Hya Lastone!

Dont go out and just buy another hard drive, First make sure that it doesnt work... DUH! If you have another computer, Plug the 10 gig in it and see if it picks up in the bios. make sure that the jumper on the HD is set to master, should be a legend on the label, and see if it works then.

If it doesnt pick up in the bios then you should make sure you made a primary dos partition and set it as active in fdisk

If NONE of that works and you feel like slaming it on the ground... feel free to do so... or do as i did and make a progectile launcher that shoots the disks inside the HD.

Have fun!!!

Hi there Lastone ....
i am very much agree with the solutions which jop[angs and 7bitbyte provided you .
first of all check all the IDE Cables that they are properly connected or not .
you can also try to change the cables of the drives. Typically, disk I/O errors indicate physical damage of some kind. A low level format or zero-fill may temporarily
remedy the problem, but won't exactly fix it.

Try to go with that.
hope fully ur problem will resolve.

Pcexpert

i had the same problem with a dell lattitude laptop. itried 4 working hard drives, same error but the hard drives worked on other laptops. i guess it's something else other than the hard drive so don't just throw your hard drive away.

i had the same problem with a dell lattitude laptop. itried 4 working hard drives, same error but the hard drives worked on other laptops. i guess it's something else other than the hard drive so don't just throw your hard drive away.

welll dont trow the HD away use it as a slave throwing them aawya is a waste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back