Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk I/O error, after post but pre boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybersmoke1

Technical User
Jun 25, 2003
US
my girlfriend brought over her computer to have me take a look at and fix, thing is i have never seen any computer do this ever.

motherboard is an older socket 7 intel motherboard(sorry not sure what the numbers are for it)

now what happens is i turn the computer on, it goes through the pre and post tests, then just after it verifies dmi pool data it will say Disk I/O error please replace disk and press any key

this is not an issue with the hdd, i have tried 4 in it total 2 of which were my own hdd's that i use on a regular basis. i have tried the ide cables, its not an issue with them either. i have also tried the hdd's in both primary and seccondary with and w/o jumpers, and w/wo master and slave

same error every time... the first thing that comes to mind is maybe the ide controller is fried, but it autodetects the hdd's fine so i have trouble accepting that option. any help is greatly appreciated id hate to tell my girlfriend that her computer is dead

arg theres no edit button heh, i forgot to list what memory and what cards ive been useing when troubleshooting, the computer has two 16 meg simms(?) one is ecc acording to the bios the other is not, i have left in only one card her trident pci vid card

Howdy:

This problem start right after she upgraded her memory?? Pull the ECC ram chip and see what happens !!

Murray

Check the BIOS for the boot order settings. It may be complaining about the floppy disk or the CD-drive.

How about booting with a floppy?
And floppy and IDE controllers enabled? And floppy swap not enabled?

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

got it working, seems that this computer reads the mbr different then my newer one, a simple fdisk /mbr took care of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back