Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk Full

Status
Not open for further replies.

saddatabid

Technical User
Dec 22, 2003
GB
I have a W2K Server SP4 with the following config:
DC, ADS, DNS, DHCP & Exchange 2000 SP3 Installed
Also installed Office 2003.

The C partition is 9GB but it shows full? I do not understand what has taken up so much space when user data is stored on other partitions?

Please help?

I just wondered if Active Directory Schema increases when Exchange is installed and configured....

Where are your Exchange DB's? Did you set them to be on the C or a different partition?
I usually try to clear user profiles when I need space on the C drive and need it quick. Has your server crashed sometime in the past and left a dump file on the C drive? Those can be very large.

You might check your paging file and see how much room it is using. I have found it using excessive amounts and moved a large part of it to another partition. This has worked for me but it sounds as you may not have partitions to handle this.

Just a thought.... just an idea.... research it and do it at your own risk ;-) !

J

I use this utility when I'm investigating where space has gone:

In addition to comments people made above, are you running backup software on the server? ARCserve for example will create a multi-GB database.

Hi,
Chances are your exchange mailboxes are on the C: drive. Look for the size of the priv1.edb and .stm files and see how big they are. These databases can be moved easliy. Also do a search for *.logs and see are they clogging up the drive but be extra careful about removing them. As stated earlier the page file can really grow. Do you have any applications that generate log files? Also for Exchange their is a utility to reclaim space after Exchange does backups but does not zero out deleted pages in its databases. Had to do this on a server after the databases were moved and it reclaimed upto 2GB and its not obvious when looking at the drive.

Thanks Guys,

Have examined the Exchange Logs (over 6GB). Deleted Exchange Logs and problems solved.

Thank you

Saddat Abid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back