Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

disk firmware upgrade 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

samurai123

Technical User
Sep 26, 2005
US
Hello,

I was wondering about upgrading disk firmware on cx600.

Do I have to call EMC to do it for me or any way I can get the firmware and install it myself?

Thanks in advance.

My understanding is that since the CX600 is older now and has been replaced by the CX700 and cx3-20,40,80, etc. that all firmware and software are free now. We usually just get new firmware from our vendor that we purchased our cx600's from, but I believe you can do it. I'm just unsure where to get it from.

Thanks Joe.

Unfortunately the disk firmware is not available freely on EMC website. You still have to go to EMC or ASN to get the firmware and they will do the upgrade for you. They use some special utility to update the firmware while the array is offline.

The disk firmware version concerned me because I heard that EMC recommends all the drives in the clariion chassis should have same firmware version. Not sure if it is true or not.
But then if you replace a failed hard drive, you maybe not have firmware revision on it like other hard drives in the chassis.

Netapp had a great facility to update the drive firmware when you replace a drive. This facility does not seem available on EMC clariion.

All the firmware upgrade like Flare code should be done by an EMC CE. I think EMC still supports CX-600. If your CX-600 frame is under support, you can log a call with EMC for the firmware upgrade. With the Global admin privilages, we also can upgrade the firmware. But it is not recommended. If you want, I can send you the detailed process for upgrading the firmware on CX-600 the steps will include the precautions you need to take on you host so that there is no down time, etc..,

--Basha

Hello Basha,

Thanks a lot for your response and willingness to share the process. I was told that the disk firmware upgrade is not usually required unless you are dealing with some known issue(s) with a firmware version. However I would like to know the process.

Can you please share the process? Please send me to sam (underscore) n i r m a l ( one word ) at ya.....

Thank you.

Okay.... I will forward the process to you....

upgrading the firmware on the disks is always good. Who doesnt like to keep their equipment update to date. Newer firmware releases from the EMC normally addresses many known and user unknown issues....

Basha

Thanks a lot Basha!, appreciate it.

I will look forward to receive it.

Hi Basha,

Did you get a chance to send the process?

Thanks

Does anyone know the procedure and willing to share?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back