Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbnil

IS-IT--Management
Jul 11, 2003
NO
I have a Compaq Deskpro 4000 with a Western Digital Caviar 33200.
When I start the computer I get the message
"1790-Disk 0 Error". And after a while
"The following configuration options were automatically updated: No fixed disk present F1:Save Changes"
When it boots I got this message
"The following configuration options were automatically updated: Disk 1: 3248 Mbytes. If you are running Unix, you need to configure your system using the Compaq User Diagnostics diskette. F1:Save Changes"
When it boots I get the
"1790-Disk 0 Error" message again.

I need the data on this disk, and don't have backup :(
Can someone help me?

Check IDE cable is undamaged and firmly attached.

If you've another machine, try slaving the drive there and see if its recognised in the bios/accessible.

Try drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility (from website) - it may not even see the drive of course.

Last (expensive) resort - data recovery company.

It might be a problem with the Master Boot Record on the disk.There is something you could try:

Slave the drive over onto another system and run a diagnostic such as Norton Disk Doctor (part of Systemworks 2003)This will repair any corrupted files and hopefully allow the disk to run again.

Sounds like you just need to replace the CMOS battery and then it will keep the settings after it recognizes the hard drive.

-joslincomputer

The BIOS has been corrupted, the normal cure is clear the CMOS, which should reset everything. Otherwise its reflash the BIOS. Compaq ROMPAQ have had this problem for some years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back