Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk Error on X346 unattended win2003 install

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsgdgcs

Technical User
Dec 17, 2002
GB
I am getting a disk error the first time windows reboots during an unattended win2003 install on a X346.
I can build a X346 to Wind2000 with an unattended install,
but not Win2003.
The same Win2003 image works with an unattended install to a X345.

The X346 has been updated with updatexpress and the latest server bios.

Anyone any ideas what is causing the disk error? When this happens I can boot to Dos and can see the C drive with the Win2003 setup files on them, but I can't get the server to continue its Win2003 setup as the server stops with the disk error when rebooting.
Help?

Are you sure about the latest server BIOS, I know one that came out for the x365 that resolved Win2K3 bootup failures. Also are you sure you are running the correct SCSI/RAID driver during the un-attended install?

Update Xpress has been used on the servers and the latest BIOS V1.07 has been applied.

We were using a PC dos 7.10 boot diskette to partition and format the system drive to Fat32.
We have found that using server guide to format the system partition doesn't get the same problem. So my guess is that there is some incompatability between the version of formatting used in PC dos7.10 and Win2003 on X346's.
We origianlly went to PC dos7.10 on the advice of IBM support when we couldn't get drives formatted using MS dos 6 to be recognised on X346 systems.

Although we have a get-round by using Serverguide, it would be nice to get a proper fix for doing this using a Boot diskette of some version of dos.

Just a correction of my previous note....these servers are at BIOS V1.05 which was the latest at the time.
It seems now that V1.07 is out. I may try that to see if it makes a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back