Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

disk defragmentation not starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandar1607

Technical User
Aug 22, 2009
IN
i have tried to start disk defragmentation process bit it doesnt start give me error could not start disk defragmentation like this tried through command prompt but still no luck...plz assist with this...

Is your disk so badly fragmented that it is taking some time to start?

What other Drive monitoring, recovery, or checking software might you be running?

Can you open Disk Management, or Defragmenter, in Computer Management, (right-click My Computer, select Manage)?

What is the exact error message?

Have you tried Safe Mode? Or even as a different Administrative user in Normal Mode?

M$ Defragmenter Does Not Run
thread779-1354393

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Explorer.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Hope some of Linney's thoughtws may be helpful to you.

How big is your HDD, and how full is it? Defrag needs some open space to move the files around while it does its thing ...

Michael

when i start manage and click on disk management and try to analyze error comes up like could not start disk defragmentation

MAndar -
you didn't reply to Linney's post or mine - if we're going to help you, a reply would be a terrific idea. Also, details of the error message that you say you get would be helpful ... like, the exact message.

Michael

"Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance."
--Sam Brown

What other installed software is interfering with the Disk Management and Defragging software?

Defrag issue.
thread779-729677

Snap-in Creation Failed.
thread779-1045257

297064 - Error Message "Snap-in Failed to Initialize" When You Use Microsoft Management Console

305831 - "MMC Snap-In Failed to Initialize Disk Management Extension" Error Message Starting Disk Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back