Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk Defragment

Status
Not open for further replies.

micker377

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
US
Any clues why Disk Defrag won't work? 70% free space on HDD. DCOM Service is set. Hasn't worked for a while, been using Defraggler. I'd like to get Win 7 working again (back-ground defrag). Tried Auslogics, and it took too long. The problem I'm having, is that the best defrag I can get is 37%! It used to be that after a defrag, I would be left with 2 - 3 % fragmentation. Any ideas, or should I even worry about it?

>> Any ideas, or should I even worry about it?

No and well, No...

On modern speedy drives, a defragmentation is no longer necessary...
Fragmentation only comes into play when you have lots of little files or a data base, where access time comes into play...

On SSD's one should NOT turn on defragmentation period, as this will shorten the life of said drives.

Occasionally (perhaps every 3 to 4 months, sometimes up to half a year), I'll use O&O Defrag on my system drive, just to make sure that boot time is quick...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Defrag - cripes - almost forgot it exists. :)

ACSS - SME
General Geek

1832163.png

I'm confused why one says defragmentation is no longer necessary but then recognizes that they defrag every 3 to 4 months.

Fragmentation affects those with large files as well, such as audio and video producers.

Is it possible that your defragging program does not have the necessary elevated permissions to shuffle files?

elevated permissions"
I am the only operator, and run at full Administration level. (I know... BAD - BAD!)

It just bothers me when something doesn't work right. With that attitude, maybe I should stay away from Windows. <grin>

What is the condition and age of the current hard drive?

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Try it first by not checking either box (this will run it in a Read-only mode) to see if it flags any hard drive or file problems. If it does, restart it by ticking both boxes, and rerun it to allow it to attempt to fix any found problems.

Does Defrag run manually if you start it from Normal Mode, Safe Mode, or at a Command Prompt outside of the Windows environment?

Advanced startup options (including safe mode)

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

How to use the Command Prompt in the Vista Windows (or 7) Recovery Environment

Haven't tried Safe Mode. I have run chkdsk - all OK. Won't run manually from command prompt, even with elevated privileges. What worries me, is the constant 37% to 43% fragmented.

Perhaps there are some files that can't be defragged like heaps of old System Restore points etc? Is there any report generated that can tell you what files are not being defragged?

>> I'm confused why one says defragmentation is no longer necessary but then recognizes that they defrag every 3 to 4 months.

That's because I am an old stickler of bad habits at times... :) and it does not hurt things in general...

Ben

Linney:
Don't use System Restore (except when Windows insists on it - and I keep those clean! I use ERUNT) I do have a large amount of "unmovable" files. Still doesn't explain why 3rd party Degrag programs work, and native Windows won't.
P.S. Tried in Safe mode. Win defrag still doesn't work. While I was there, I went ahead and ran a 3rd party defrag. Still 37% fragmented - 43% when rebooted.

BBB:
When I turn off Hibernation, I get error messages from my USP! It must use Hiber. for it's controlled shutdown. I guess that I could turn it off temporarily.
I'll give O&O a try. Defraggler, and Auslogics, didn't make me happy.

I do have a large amount of "unmovable" files. Still doesn't explain why 3rd party Degrag programs work, and native Windows won't."

Perhaps it does if Windows is blocking access to these files by the Windows Defrag program?

Have you tried the Built-in Administrator?

This example might or might not work for you with your program it uses the built-in Administrator account to perform the install?

"It seems that the "Run as administrator" command only gives you some administrative privileges, and they're not enough to install Java (and OpenOffice, by association). In order to get around this, you need to actually log into the built-in administrator. Open a command prompt with admin rights by clicking start, typing cmd into the search/run box, and hitting CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER. At the prompt, type:

net user administrator /active:yes

Then log out of your regular account and back in as the built-in administrator, where you might be able to install the program. When you're done, log back into your regular account and, for security purposes, disable the built-in administrator account using:

net user administrator /active:no

Linney:
No help. You mention JAVA, is JAVA necessary to run Defrag? Due to latest security problems, I have removed JAVA.

Could those files be for paging or registry hives. I know in 2000/XP those files could not be defragged by the OS. You had to use something like PageDefrag to fix them. I don't know if Win7 has the same problems or not.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

Micker,
you misread what Linney wrote about the JAVA thingy... all he mentioned was that the USER who has Admin privileges, does not have FULL admin privileges but the build in ADMINISTRATOR account does...

2ffat,
Windows7 also behaves the same, in that it will not allow the Pagefile nor hibernation files to be defragged... that is why I had mentioned earlier to remove them from the C partition...

Ben

Moved the page-file to another physical drive. Ran O&O. No change.

I can see which files are "in play". "Unmovable", and other necessary files are marked. What I'm talking about are the majority of files that are normal files that are marked as fragmented, not being touched by Defragment programs!

That is what is puzzling - that over half of the files aren't touched. I can't see any general provisions that could do that.
I up, and download a lot. So I generally (about once a month), do a system clean up. CCleaner, Eusing, empty recycle bin, defrag and full system backup. Up to about a month ago, Defraggler worked fine. It would leave me with 3%, to 4% fragmented. Quit using Win defrag long ago.

That note about Java and using the Built-in Administrator was just an example of how to launch the Built-in Administrator if you decided to try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back