Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk Defragging?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADB100

Technical User
Mar 25, 2003
GB
I haven't seen anything on CCO regarding server maintenance except OS Updates etc but I was wondering what people do with regards to Disk fragmentation on CCM since the PABX is now sat on top of Wonderful Windows 2000?

I regularly defrag my PC's and servers to hopefully give better performance, I assume this is also relevent for CCM since it is effectively another server? If so do you tackle this as you would any other server - i.e. shut down all services, run defrag and when its finished reboot?

Andy

I know I have read that defragging the CCM's is actually recommended by Cisco...now if I can just remember where...

Ah, now I remember - just found it in the Cisco CallManager Best Practices book. It's listed as a "should do" before a CCM upgrade, and to improve performance if you have a lot of CCM traces turned on.

TMH

Performing a CallManager Upgrade Using a Staging Server
This section focuses on using a staging server to perform the upgrade.
Perform Chkdsk and Defrag Operations
Running chkdsk after your upgrade ensures the disk's integrity and health before you move it back to the production system. You should run these operations during any upgrade or outage window. Follow these steps:
Step 1. Click Start > Run. , Step 2. Type CMD and press Enter., Step 3. Enter chkdsk /f and press Enter.
Occasionally defragmenting the disk keeps it operating at maximum efficiency. Call processing is optimized to run from memory, so disk fragmentation does not directly affect it. However, depending on the trace level set, CallManager can be very disk I/O-bound. As the disk drive starts to get full, fragmentation can affect the speed at which trace files are written. Cleaning up temporary files and defragmenting can then improve performance. Follow these steps:

Step 1. Click Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter.
Step 2. Select the C: drive and click the Defragment button." (c) Cisco CallManager Best Practices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back