Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk Cleanup 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesfg02

Technical User
Jan 16, 2006
US
I am trying to run a disk cleanup, it goes to calculate disk space and I get an error ...

Disk space cleanup manager for windows has encountered a problem and needs to be close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Appname:clean.exe App Ver 6.0.2300.0 modver:0.0.0.0 offset 00000000

I am on a dell dimension 2400 service pack 1 xp.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

James

can you check your application and system event logs to see if there is an EVENT ID?

Otherwise I would try.

1. Manually deleting temp internet and temp files.
2. Rebooting
3. Re-run disk cleanup

OR

1. Apply SP2.

-- Jason
"It's Just Ones and Zeros

Hi jdemmi,

under the application log i get error 1000
under the system log i get infomation 7036

I am able to delete temp internet files manually but when i manually delete temp files, window shuts down

sp2 won't download it just freezed, i let microsoft know, just waiting to hear back from them.

any other suggestions?

Linney,

i am not sure is clean.exe is a Microsoft file. I think it is. (how would I check)

cwscredder ran ok
spybot ran ok
adaware froze midway through
window defender would not launch it just froze
housecall65.trendmicro ran for a while then just shut down, no errors
ewido.net ran for a while and then just froze
panda would not even run

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Try running your installed scans from Safe Mode. You could also try any online scans from Safe Mode "with networking".

Try from Normal Mode as a different user.

I don't have any Clean.exe on this XP Machine, if I did I would look at the Properties (via right-click on the file) and then click on the Version tab and check to see if it is a Microsoft file (which I suspect it isn't) by highlighting the items mentioned under "Other version information".

I ran webroot spy sweeper and it removed a trojan. I ran it from the website. I was able to run adaware to completion after. Thanks for your suggestions they were very helpful...

I downloaded sp2 to my desktop ... extracted files and now I am running the set up wizard.

I read somewhere to save the file to c:\(the root folder of partition c) I said to put the pc in safe mode and to install in safe mode, I didn't do this I just clicked on the link and downloaded to my desktop, will this cause problems?

As to whether you have problems with SP2, you should know the answer to that by the time people reply. I have never installed SP2 from Safe Mode myself.

This may be handy to know too.

Slipstream Service Packs
thread779-900263

SP2 - Microsoft Support is Free for SP2 Issues
thread779-923312

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back