Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk clean will not run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

theharvester

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
US
Hello All,
I have a Sony Viao P-III 650 Mhz with Windows XP Pro. When I try to run the disk clean it will not complete. It will start and show 3 of the progress bars and then just sit there. At first I thought it was due to the 12 gigs used of 30 gig drive and never been done before and was just taking a long time. I let it run over night for about 14 hours and when I checked the next morning it was still in the same place. I tried it in safe mode and still the same thing. I ran a complete check disk and everything came up fine. When I hit ctrl-Alt-Delete it shows it is running and using like 70 - 90 % of CPU. Any Ideas?
Thank you,
Harvey.

Do it manually? (usually temp folder(s) and temp internet files biggest cleanable areas). If you're only using 12 of 30 GB its not too urgent.

to do what wolluf said manually go to internet options and on the general tab click on delete cookies, delete files ( and check delete all offline content) then click settings , viewfiles and delete any files found here.

good luck with it.

Check out the following thread regarding the Compress Old Files registry key.
thread779-887344

cheers.gif

Help! I've fallen and I can't reach my beer.

I had something similar so I renamed my working profile and recreated it (by logging on again) and ran Disk Clean again. I'm assuming my profile was corrupt.

For example, if you are logging on as a user named Administrator, you will have a profile called Administrator. Do the following to start afresh:

1. Create a new user with administrator rights.
2. Log on as this user and then rename the Administrator profile in Documents and Settings.
3. Log back on as Administrator and you will get a brand new profile. You can copy across the desktop, favorites, etc from the old profile.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I know how to delete I.E. junk, in fact I do not use it much at all (I use mozilla) and I have the temp internet file set to like 5 megs. I mainly like the file compression feature of it. I am getting into Astrophotography and the images take a lot of space. I will try the reg. edit that BeerHunter sudgested and see what happens. If it does not work I will either leave it and just move the images to my desktop or just wipe and reinstall. I will post back if the reg. edit takes care of it.
Thank you all.

812248 - Disk Cleanup Tool Stops Responding While Compressing Old Files

812930 - Disk Cleanup Utility Stops Responding

For easy ways to access and control all of CleanMgr's functions---
including compression--- see items #6 and 7 in

A semi-related issue.

Hard Disk still full after deleting large files
thread779-1136701

Relocating Hard Drive Capacity and File Compression
thread779-939540

Status
Not open for further replies.