Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter

Status
Not open for further replies.

karinne

Programmer
Jan 10, 2003
CA
Hey all, new here... hope someone can help.

Opened my box tonight and that's the message that I got

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

I've XP pro, never had a problem before!?!?

I've tried the "Recovery" off the CD but don't know what to do with that!?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Karinne

You had the right idea when you put your harddrive in a friends computer to try and get your files, but if you had your harddrive set in NTFS file format and your friends computer is set to Fat 32 then his machine won't be able to read yours without a special program to see NTFS on Fat 32. Search the internet for an NTDFS viewer.

Mark,

So you've got borrowed drive with XP installed? If you install your problem drive as slave, can you read it?

Hi Duke11 & Wolluf, I used my own computer, new drive is OK after installing Xp home, but the old one, still doesn't work. I used the old one as a slave, bios sees the drive, but in windows explorer the drive is not listed.
I don't know if the viewer will work if windows can't even see it.
Are there any programs which can check the drive for any kind of problems, even if windows can not see it?
regards Mark

Does it appear in disk management? (run diskmgmt.msc) - if it does, it might ask to format - obviously don't. Also, if it does, what does it appear as?

I ran computer management, then Disk management, took a long time but only listed my small 4GB and cd rom. Is this the same as you said to run diskmgmt.msc?

Also something interesting, under the device manager section of computer management, I expanded the disk drives! There it is, Maxtor 4D040H2.
Under the general tab, device status says working properly. Under the Volume tab there are no numbers or settings, just a dash.

Under the driver tab I noticed you can update the driver, wondering if I should try this method?

I'm also going to check the troubleshooting area in the general tab.

Any suggestions?
regards Mark

I had this problem.Turn your box on,insert the disk,then shut down. When you reboot,select boot from disk.Worked for me.Good luck

Hi Mark - have you tried going to the Maxtor web page - they may have diagnostic software available to enable a recover. Seagate provide a very good service in thia respect. I had a similar problem and was able to recover it with their help - good look.

Regards Bernard

Hi, PeeJoe
Yes, I downloaded their powermax software & running diagnostics now. I'm also in touch with tech support. Looks like a communication error so far.
Will report later,
regards MArk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back