Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disillusioned with HDD tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

zobbo

Technical User
Dec 21, 2004
IE
WD HDD is slow as hell. Was completely formatted and XP put back on but it keeps on freezing.

Did about 6 Tests on it - all full scans. Two come back as
positive.

Used the Following Full Tests

Powermax - PASS
Seatools - PASS
HDDhealth - PASS
WD Lifeguard - FAIL
WD Lifeguard(2nd test) - PASS
Hitachi Test - FAIL
HDD Salvation PASS

Now in my mind all of the ones tests that gave PASS have
lost credibility...Can anyone recommend a decent HDD diagnostic that will give a consistent and conclusive result ?

It is generally not a good idea using non brand specific software as results, if the software even allows the test, will not necessarily be accurate.

Seatools are for Seagate hard drives?
Hitachi Test is for IBM/Hitachi

Use Westerndigital Data Lifeguard tools.

See what WD say:
The downloadable Data Lifeguard Tools now comes in both DOS and Windows versions and was written specifically for the installation of Western Digital EIDE hard drives. If your computer system already has a hard drive installed with an operating system of Windows 98SE or greater, you should use the Windows version of Data Lifeguard for best results. The DOS version is required if installing a hard drive in a new system without existing operating system support.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Martin, Thanks for that advice. I always thought that even with XP.....Windows-based tools were inaccurate. I used to use the Disk Doctor tool with Systemworks but that always nearly always reported back positive results....when the viruses and spyware would be cleared...Disk Doctor would report back a negative...What a complete joke of a program! Needless to say I ditched it.

How can Windows based tools be more accurate ? would viruses and other crap not interfer with the results ?

I am certainly going to give the Windows based version of lifegaurd a go and see what it churns up...

thanks for that info.

Just quoteing from the horse's mouth so to speak.
Personally I use DOS based diagnostics but always from the particular hard drive manufacturer.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

The Powermax & Seatools, are rebatched versions of Kroll Ontrack, altered specifically for their respective drives... if my memory serves me right...

but I still agree with Paparazi about the DOS based scanning tools, as it does not have Windows interfere with the scanning of said HDD's...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Agree with paparazi. Had a lady in a similar situation last week, someone tested her HDD (Seagate) using the Maxtor utility. This result stated an imminent failure and to back up the HDD immediately. Tested the HDD (twice) using the correct Seagate utility and it passed all tests and the disk integrity was good. Actually saved this lady a few pounds of her hard earned cash as she was going to purchase a new drive.

If the Western Digital utility does find a problem, you can browse the diagnostic error codes here:

If your error code is not in any of the lists you can contact WD here:

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.

Sir Winston Churchill

I don't know it is helpfull for you, but I had an "old" WD hard drive the right model number was WD200EB. And I did not knew how to know if the hard drive was dead or not, because Windows reconized it and I "could" format it. In facts Windows told me I can but there was no formatting...

I get a good advice that I will tell you : Use "Ultimate Boot CD" for a test of your hard drive. UBCD contains Lifeguard and it runs under DOS, so Windows won't come and make your results false...

PS: You can download for free UBCD, it is a freeware and totally legally, just make a search with Google ... :)

Csab

Yes I am a MAC lover, and so what :)

I suggest you save your data from that hard drive and use the "write zeroes to the hard drive" routine that is found in the western digital utilities. I have found that the write zero routine repairs any problems the drive had and it also eliminates any virus that gets into your master boot record. Bottom line is that this program pretty much puts the hard drive back into the state it was when you got it, if possible. It has helped me a lot with different hard drives.
Then you will have to reformat the drive and install your os on it again, but it gives peace of mind and should eliminate any problems you are having.
One other thing, you could go to your motherboard mfgrs website and have a look at the bios updates. Sometimes they will spell out and corrections made and you may see something having to do with hard drives. Either way, its good to have the latest bios update for your motherboard and its easy to do. Of course maybe you have already done that?

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Another thing, i wouldnt trust the test results from hard drive utilities that were meant for other hard drives. I know its already been stated.
One final, you can get a program called "spinrite". You have to buy it, i did and it repaired a hard drive for me already so it was worth it. Spinrite works on either all or most hard drives. I learned that here, from stduc i believe.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

guyz, thank you for all the great info...

heres the story so far - important data will be saved on it
so I stuck a brand new WDD ide into it...but it is still
underperforming in my opinion....too many "not repsonding errors" infact its performing like a 8yr old pc...its got a
p4 chip with 256 mb of ram (dell dimension)...IDE cables were all replaced...seeing that its continally slow and not just slow sometimes I am suspecting a dodgy PSU....

memory tested: ok
signs of overheating: none, even when left on for 3hrs the heatsink is nice and cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back