Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disgusting Banner Ad on My Hotmail

Status
Not open for further replies.

eques4

Technical User
Jun 1, 2002
GB
Does anyone working at MSN read these forums because I am trying to point out a disgusting banner ad that keeps being forced on me everytime I open my hotmail.

Its for a wrinkle reduction system and portrays an old woman peeling the skin off her face.

Who the hell signed that one off? I have used the hotmail feedback form but can imagine they get 1000s of messages a day. Have tried contacting the advertiser but there are no meaningful contact details.

Seriously it is truly inappropriate.

If I have got the wrong forum can anyone suggest a better one?

Thanks

I'm not sure that that falls to the level of "inappropriate". I'd like to show you what might or post an example, but.............

Sounds just frivolous at worst to me.

"Everybody has an opinion and it's a darn shame that almost everyone can't be right like me

You might try Adblock Plus and Ghostery to eliminate them.

Jim

Thanks.

Its just this one particular ad. I don't mind the ads in general.

And Goombawaho it is inappropriate. I don't want to see that every time I open a message and its not the sort of thing MSN should be inflicting on their customers. It really looks horrible.

Would I have to pay for adblock?

One man's inappropriate is another man's entertainment or little chuckle. But I understand.

With all these free email services and other services, they force you to look at ads.

One way round it is to load the MVPS hosts file "
This points most, if not not all, of these ad server addresses to your localhost, where of course they can't be found.

The installer comes with a batch file to back up your existing hosts file and replace it, but I just did it manually.

Steve

Be careful with those host file entries. Yes, they will work, but if you're ever trying to access one of the blocked sites, you will be pulling your hair out. I only say that because some of these "prefab" hosts files have thousands of entries. In other works, you swallow the whole thing when you install it.

I pick and choose the things that aggravate me and put them in my hosts file. Here's my current list - just for kicks. Things that have ticked me off once too many times with a popup/popunder window.

127.0.0.1 247realmedia.com
127.0.0.1 m.tribalfusion.com
127.0.0.1 a.tribalfusion.com
127.0.0.1 clk.atdmt.com
127.0.0.1 advertising.com
127.0.0.1 pn1.ard.yahoo.com
127.0.0.1 cdn.optmd.com
127.0.0.1 nextpointmedia.com
127.0.0.1 cpxinteractive.com
127.0.0.1 pulse360.com
127.0.0.1 groupon.com
127.0.0.1 myonlinearcade.com
127.0.0.1 freeproducttesters.com

@goombawaho

Again, I have no problem whatsoever with ads in general.

I am talking about this particular ad with revolting content that keeps popping up every single time I open an e-mail.

I really wish I could provide a link to it without linking to my inbox.

All,thanks very much for the suggestions.

Was just hoping people who work at MSN come on this forum.

the other thing is Ads are based on perhaps the tracking cookies you have in your browser cache.

try clearing down your browser cache and also run SuperAntiSpyWare to look for any malicious cookies lurking on your PC

Free yet effective version here:
Other suggestions above are also useful.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

CallUsOn.png

1832163.png

Personally, I think they (the MSN people) would laugh at you as opposed to doing anything if they saw your complaint. They don't really care as long as the ad revenue is coming in.

Presumably you are opening your hotmail in hotmail. Could you try to open it in another email browser until the offensive ad goes away.

is one that I've used in the past and might be applicable for you.

Marc

If that add offends, I I mean no disrespect by this, others likely will that will eventually take its place. Why not use Thunderbird or Outlook and have it retrieve your emails in an ad free environment? This way you dont have to use the host files or ad block which would block most of the ads....

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

I don't want to see that every time I open a message . .
If your system is showing the same ad every time, i suspect it is something in your system. What happens if you use a different pc and log into your hotmail account?

I open all of my hotmail e-mails in hotmail and never see any of these ads. . . Possibly because i pay the $20 a year for more space?

goombawaho,

You hosts file is missing facebook.com... [LOL]

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

goombawaho,

You hosts file is missing facebook.com... [LOL]

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

what's facebook? They must not have popped anything up that got past my blockers. That's when I get mad.

@DRbob
Thanks I will try this and other suggestions.

This is the first ad I have ever taken offence at in 15 years on Hotmail.

I am not an eccentric, honestly. This is an inappropriate ad, compounded by the fact it pops up every time I do anything in Hotmail.

@Goombawahoo

Possibly they wouldn't (although they may, that's their bad). They wouldn't put just anything up there and justify it to themselves in terms of profit. I am sure there are some occassions where they have told an advertiser "Sorry that isn't suitable.

Just tried to find it but can only get it on my Hotmail Page.

If you want to try and find it then the text of the ad reads:

"Mum is 57 but looks 27!"

Cue a picture of what actually looks like a 77 year old woman peeling off her older skin to reveal the young skin underneath. The peel on the photo has worked its way about halfway up the face so the skin is all wrinkled around the nose as it starts to come off and the skin she is pulling off at the time is all stretchy and transparent.

I hope this gives y'all a better idea of what I am talking about.

This thread is just getting better and better.

I could say so many different things in the name of humor, but..... must...... not......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back