Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

discussion questions for web designers

Status
Not open for further replies.

isNaN

Programmer
Aug 2, 2002
US
hello,

I've been doing web design for a couple of years now. As much as I feel that I have learned I continue to get blindsided by frustrating technical problems. I try to proof, test, proto-type all the things that I think might be an issue, but the issues end up being things I never would have thought of.

Like:

My JavaScript won't work in browser x on platform x when the trigger event it is placed in an image map.
Or the flash animation that worked so smoothly in browser x plays jerky in browser y.
etc.

So, my questions are:

Do these problems become fewer and fewer the more experience you acquire? Is this just the nature of the beast? Is the answer 'just stay away from the bleeding edge'? What methods do you use to side step problems like these, and if you fail to side step the problem how do you deal with it in the middle of production?

Discuss amongst yourselves.

Jaxon

I always thought the great thing about this field was the fact you never stop learning and your mind is always being pulled on. Things do become less with the more experience you gain due to knowing what reactions are going to come out of different situations (browsers etc) They will never go away though. The nature of programming and web development being always different in some way from application to applications keeps the missed errors coming back. I kind of get excited about dealing with issues that arrise so I deffinetely would say don't limit by holding back. As for a method to use, there really is no method but test, test and more testing. I'm trying, really I am!
admin@onpntwebdesigns.com

As a web designer/programmer the best way to make sure your site/code works on all browsers, is to test, and test, and test...
I actualy try to test on all browsers, on all platforms...
I would not limit myself in this field...learn as much as you can...someone here has a signature that reads: I earn, cause I learn and that is sooo true... I have not failed; I merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

Constant learning is one of the aspects of web design that is most interesting to me. That plus a quick turn-around time and more creative freedom than my old occupation. I love web design and have no intention of stopping. It's just the little surprises at 1:00 on a Sunday morning, while cranking out a web site, that I find irritating.

I guess I'm just curious to hear what stratagies other professionals use. It seems to be test test test, so I guess I'm on the right track. :)

Thanks of the replies.

jaxon

isNaN...as in any filed the only way to get good is to practice and the only way to make sure that your site is fully compatible, is to test test test test... I have not failed; I merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back