Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Discovering devices on network

Status
Not open for further replies.

augustin

Programmer
Jun 18, 2003
RO
I've installed Optivity Switch Manager 3.0 Evaluation copy and cannot discover any device on my network.
On the seed device I mentioned IP address of the stack ( 8 units of Nortel Baystack 450-24T )
When I try to discover network I receive the message:
'The seed device appears to be isolated. No links are visible through SNMP'.
The stack is configured at SNMP configuration with
Trap #1 IP Address = IP address of my station ( where is installed OSM 3.0 ), Community String = public Authentication Trap: Enabled and AutoToplogy:Enabled

odd it worked for me, but my stuff is all public/private and I started at a passport1200.

you can test the theory that it is isolated n JDM Edit > Diagnostics > Topology Table

your device will be there at 0/0 any nortel devices which are directly connected will list the port they connect to.

you can have multiple seeds if you have gaps where you used other vendors equipment.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Augustine,

If the 8 switches are set up as one stack with one ip-address the OSM software will only find one switch. If you have your snmp configuration right in OSM and you find the one switch, you will see a stack of 8 switches when doing a device view with Java Device Manager.

To test what I said above you could connect the switches through a normal interface (not the stack interfaces) and give these switches a switch ip-address in stead off a stack ip-address.

I just got another idea. What happens if you leave the switches in a stack and also give the switches in the stack a switch ip-address instead of only a stack ip-address for the first switch?

Ind.

CCNA

I can see the stack with DM but the problem is that I cannot see a map of my network. When I try do discover the map with all devices on network I receive the same message.

Augustine,

I looked on nortel's website and found that OSM3.0 only supports Baystack 450 switches as a seeddevice if they have a software version of 4.2. OSM3.0 does support discovering of the devices.

The link to the pdf file wich states this:

So my question is: wat software version are your switches? If you are not able to upgrade them I would suggest finding another seeddevice from the list in that pdf file or try OSM2.0 and see if that works.

InD.

CCNA

Augustine,

What other components do you have in your network besides those baystacks you could use as a seed device?

InD.

CCNA

A router Cisco 3640, servers with Windows 2000.

Augustine,

Network devices other than Nortel devices can not be used as seed devices and will not be discovered using OSM. You need more than one switch (a stack with one ip-address is seen as 1 switch by OSM) to discover a network.

Since there is only 1 switch you will get the message you descibed in your post ('The seed device appears to be isolated.') since there is nothing connected that can be discovered by OSM.

InD.

CCNA

Why I cannot see the map of the network ( I mean all stations on the network that are connected through the stack )? How could I do it?

Augustine,

OSM does NOT discover devices that are not made my Nortel.
OSM only discovers the devices that are in the list given in the link I gave you
OSM is a Nortel tool
For discovering other devices and make a map you need other software. I do not know about this software though so maybe someone else can tell you.

I am really sorry but I can not make it more clear than I already did.

InD.

CCNA

Probably you are right.
In order to see stations on network is necessary that these to have NIC's made by Nortel?
In my opinion, in this case this soft ( OSM ) is very limited ( not being able to show devices connected through a Nortel switch (stack ))

Correct, all my maps just show the 55 Nortel devices on my network, not end devices Switch Manager mostly manages how Switches talk to Switches Duplex, speed, VLAN ID, LAN Name, Multcast Group, Multilink Trunking, Spanning Tree, etc.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back